on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Belanger family come from? What is the English Belanger family crest and coat of arms? When did the Belanger family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Belanger family history?The Norman Conquest of England in 1066 added many new elements to an already vibrant culture. Among these were thousands of new names. The Belanger family lived in Nottingham in the midlands of England. However, the family was originally descended from the Bellengers, the Knights of Facomberg in Picardy, France and the name has been corrupted from the name of the French Boulanger family, who were chevaliers (knights) of Hainaut and Flanders.
Endless spelling variations are a prevailing characteristic of Norman surnames. Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules, and the introduction of Norman French added an unfamiliar ingredient to the English linguistic stew. French and Latin, the languages of the court, also influenced spellings. Finally, Medieval scribes generally spelled words according to how they sounded, so one person was often referred to by different spellings in different documents. The name has been spelled Ballenger, Ballinger, Bellinger, Bellenger and others.
First found in Nottingham in the midlands of England where they held a family seat from very early times, and granted large estates in that shire, by William the Conqueror, their liege lord.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Belanger research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1200 and 1721 are included under the topic Early Belanger History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Belanger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Belanger family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 41 words(3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the political and religious persecution within England at the time, many English families left for the various British colonies abroad. The voyage was extremely difficult, though, and the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving. But for those who made it, the trip was most often worth it. Many of the families who arrived went on to make valuable contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families reveals a number of immigrants bearing the name Belanger or a variant listed above:
Belanger Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nicolas Belanger who married Marie De Rainville, daughter of Paul and Rolline Poete in 1659 in Vachon
Belanger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Antoine Bélanger who married Marie-Anne Poulin in 1771
- Julian Belanger who settled in New York in 1775
- Julian Belanger, who landed in New York in 1798
Belanger Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Belanger, aged 24, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1827
Belanger Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hubert Belanger, aged 22, who landed in America from Rio de Janiero, in 1904
- E. Belanger, aged 23, who emigrated to America from Paris, France, in 1905
- Emile Belanger, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Paris, France, in 1905
- Avila Belanger, aged 55, who settled in America from France, Paris, in 1911
- Charles Belanger, aged 46, who landed in America from St. Maude, France, in 1912
Belanger Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- François Bélanger, son of François and Françoise Horlays, who married Marie Guyon, daughter of Jean Guyon and Mathurine Robin on June 27th, 1636 in the Parish of Notre Dame, Quebec city
Belanger Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Charles Bélanger, son of Charles and Madeleine Jobidon, who married Angélique Monarque, daughter of Charles and Marie Dazé in 1746 at St-François, Quebec
- Charles-Philippe Bélanger, son of Louis and Elisabeth Paquet, who married Marie-Joseph Lauzon, daughter of Gabriel and Marie-Anne Lacombe in 1767 at Ste-Geneviève, Quebec
Belanger Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Adrian Belanger, aged 24, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1912
- Celine Belanger, aged 19, who settled in Montreal, Canada, in 1912
- Edward Augustin Belanger, aged 73, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1913
- Ernest Belanger, aged 30, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1914
- Eugene L. Belanger, aged 24, who settled in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada, in 1920
- Mark Henry Belanger (1944-1998), American Major League Baseball player
- Charley Belanger (1902-1970), Canadian boxer at the 1924 Summer Olympics and the 1925 Pan American Games light heavyweight Champion
- Leonard Francis Belanger, Physician and Educator, Professor and head of the department of Histology and Embryology at the University of Ottawa, Ontario
- Jesse Belanger (b. 1969), Canadian professional (NHL) hockey player
- Louis Philippe Antoine Belanger, Canadian politician, Mayor of Beaupré, Québec
- Mauril A Bélanger (b. 1955), Canadian politician, Member of the Canadian Parliament
- Michel Bélanger, Canadian businessman and banker
- Éric Bélanger (b. 1977), Canadian professional (NHL) hockey player
- Daniel Bélanger (b. 1962), Canadian singer-songwriter
- Hugo P. Belanger (b. 1970), retired Canadian professional NHL ice hockey left winger
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Belanger Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Belanger Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 December 2013 at 11:30.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more