Beix History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Beix is of Anglo-Saxon origin. It was name for a short person. The surname Beix is derived from the Old English words bas and basse, meaning low or short. These words ultimately stem from the Latin word bassus which means thick or heavy-set. The surname Beix may also be a nickname for someone resembling a fish, or it may be a metonymic name for someone holding the occupation of fishmonger.
Early Origins of the Beix family
The surname Beix was first found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Beix family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beix research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1379, 1500 and 1579 are included under the topic Early Beix History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beix Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Beix have been found, including Bays, Base, Bayse, Baise and others.
Early Notables of the Beix family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Beix Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Beix family
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become powerful new nations. Among early immigrants of the Beix surname to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were: Daniel Base who arrived in New York in 1898.