100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Beckman family come from? What is the English Beckman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Beckman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Beckman family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Beckman comes from when the family resided in Cambridgeshire, where the family was found since the early Middle Ages.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Beckman include Beckman, Bickman, Bicman, Bickeman, Bikman, Bykman and many more.
First found in Cambridgeshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beckman research. Another 400 words(29 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1301, 1500, 1684, 1706, 1758, and 1771 are included under the topic Early Beckman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 44 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beckman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Beckman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Michel Beckman who, accompanied by his wife and four children, arrived in New York in 1709
- Michel Beckman, who arrived in New York in 1709
- John Ernest Beckman, who arrived in New York in 1797
Beckman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Gustaf Beckman, aged 32, arrived in New York in 1841
- J F Beckman, aged 23, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Telle Brinkman Beckman, aged 25, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- John Beckman, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1851
- Henrich Beckman, who landed in Indiana in 1852
Beckman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anders Emanuel Beckman, who landed in Alabama in 1917
- Cameron Beckman (b. 1970), American professional (PGA) golfer
- Francis JL Beckman (1875-1948), American Archbishop of Dubuque, and a Bishop of Lincoln, Nebraska
- E Richard Beckman (b. 1942), American educator and health services director
- Francis Walters Beckman (b. 1918), American business executive
- Henry Beckman (b. 1925), Canadian film actor
- Descendants of Johann Bernard (Barney) Beckmann of Bishop Creek, Effingham County, Illinois by Rich Schumacher.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
The Beckman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Beckman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 December 2014 at 16:26.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!