Bayson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Bayson name has descended through the generations from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. Their name comes from having lived at Beeston Castle, in the county of Cheshire. Beeston is also a village near Leeds. Bayston Hill is a large village and civil parish in central Shropshire.
Early Origins of the Bayson family
The surname Bayson was first found in Cheshire, at Beeston, a township, in the parish of Bunbury, union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury. "This place takes its name from a castle founded by Ranulph de Blundeville, about 1220, and which was made a royal garrison in the war between Henry III. and the confederate barons. Of the ancient mansion of the Beeston family, who long resided here, there are but small remains." 
"The Shropshire Beestons possess the name of more than one Cheshire parish: they are also represented in Derbyshire and Stafford." 
Early rolls revealed the family was scattered throughout ancient England in early times. William Bestone was listed in Norfolk in 1153-1166; Andrew de Bieston was entered in the Pipe Rolls of Yorkshire in 1203; and Ralph de Bestune was listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 in Cheshire. William Besteton and Ralph Biesteton were listed in Hampshire c. 1248.
Yorkshire had more records in various rolls: Herbert de Beston in the Assize Rolls of 1219; and Richard de Bestayn was listed as holding lands there in 1297. 
The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 list: Radulphus de Beston, Esquier, of Beeston; Willelmiis de Beston; and Johannes de Beeston. 
John Beston (d. 1428), was a theological writer, Prior of the Carmelite convent at Bishop's Lynn, and a doctor in theology both of Cambridge and Paris. "He was highly esteemed as a theologian and a philosopher, and also as a preacher. " 
Early History of the Bayson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bayson research. Another 111 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1579, 1711, 1793, 1636, 1702, 1579, 1638, 1606 and 1682 are included under the topic Early Bayson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bayson Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Bayson has undergone many spelling variations, including Beeston, Beaston, Beeson, Beason, Beestoun, Beson and many more.
Early Notables of the Bayson family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bayson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bayson family
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Bayson were among those contributors: Stephen Beeston who settled in Maryland in 1666; James Beeson settled in New England in 1774; Thomas Beson settled in Virginia in 1635. In Newfoundland, John Beeson was married in St. John's in 1762.
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Guppy, Henry Brougham, Homes of Family Names in Great Britain. 1890. Print.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print