on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Baxley family come from? What is the English Baxley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Baxley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Baxley family history?The origins of the Baxley name come from when the Anglo-Saxon tribes ruled over Britain. The name Baxley was originally derived from a family having lived in Sussex and Buckingham. The Baxley surname is a habitational name derived from any of various places named Beckley, such as those in Kent, Oxfordshire, and Sussex. The place name Beckley comes from the Old English name becca with the Old English word leah, meaning a clearing in the forest.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Baxley include Beckley, Beckly, Bistley, Bickley and others.
First found in Sussex and Buckingham where they held a family seat from early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Baxley research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1661 and 1438 are included under the topic Early Baxley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Baxley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Baxley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Baxley, who landed in Maryland in 1663
Baxley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William H. Baxley, aged 26, who arrived in America, in 1909
- Ella M. Baxley, aged 40, who arrived in America, in 1914
- Walter Baxley, aged 24, who arrived in America from New York, in 1917
- William Provost Baxley, aged 6, who arrived at Pleasantville, N.Y., in 1919
- George Baxley, aged 26, who arrived in America, in 1923
- Dennis K. Baxley (b. 1952), American politician, Member of the Florida House of Representatives (2012-)
- Paul R. Baxley Jr. (1923-2011), American stunt coordinator and stuntman, stunt double of William Shatner on Star Trek
- Lucy Baxley (b. 1937), American former politician, 28th Lieutenant Governor of Alabama (2003-2007), 37th Alabama State Treasurer (1995-2003)
- Craig Redding Baxley (b. 1949), American director, stunt coordinator, stunt performer
- Isaac Rieman Baxley (1850-1920), American poet and playwright
- Barbara Baxley (1923-1990), American Tony Award nominated actress of stage, film and television
- William Joseph Baxley II, (b. 1941), American Democratic politician, 24th Lieutenant Governor of Alabama (1983-1987), 41st Attorney General of Alabama, famous for reopening a case against the Ku Klux Klan which resulting in a conviction
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
The Baxley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Baxley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2015 at 09:42.
on orders of $85 or more