on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Baxley family come from? What is the English Baxley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Baxley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Baxley family history?The origins of the Baxley name come from when the Anglo-Saxon tribes ruled over Britain. The name Baxley was originally derived from a family having lived in Sussex and Buckingham. The Baxley surname is a habitational name derived from any of various places named Beckley, such as those in Kent, Oxfordshire, and Sussex. The place name Beckley comes from the Old English name becca with the Old English word leah, meaning a clearing in the forest.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Baxley include Beckley, Beckly, Bistley, Bickley and others.
First found in Sussex and Buckingham where they held a family seat from early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Baxley research. Another 263 words(19 lines of text) covering the year 1661 is included under the topic Early Baxley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Baxley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Baxley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Baxley, who landed in Maryland in 1663
Baxley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William H. Baxley, aged 26, who arrived in America, in 1909
- Ella M. Baxley, aged 40, who arrived in America, in 1914
- Walter Baxley, aged 24, who arrived in America from New York, in 1917
- William Provost Baxley, aged 6, who arrived at Pleasantville, N.Y., in 1919
- George Baxley, aged 26, who arrived in America, in 1923
- William Joseph Baxley II, (b. 1941), American Democratic politician, 24th Lieutenant Governor of Alabama (1983-1987), 41st Attorney General of Alabama, famous for reopening a case against the Ku Klux Klan which resulting in a conviction
- Barbara Baxley (1923-1990), American Tony Award nominated actress of stage, film and television
- Isaac Rieman Baxley (1850-1920), American poet and playwright
- Craig Redding Baxley (b. 1949), American director, stunt coordinator, stunt performer
- Lucy Baxley (b. 1937), American former politician, 28th Lieutenant Governor of Alabama (2003-2007), 37th Alabama State Treasurer (1995-2003)
- Paul R. Baxley Jr. (1923-2011), American stunt coordinator and stuntman, stunt double of William Shatner on Star Trek
- Dennis K. Baxley (b. 1952), American politician, Member of the Florida House of Representatives (2012-)
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The Baxley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Baxley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 March 2015 at 13:10.
on orders of $85 or more