100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origins of the Baxley name come from when the Anglo-Saxon
tribes ruled over Britain. The name Baxley was originally derived from a family having lived in Sussex
and Buckingham. The Baxley surname is a habitational name derived from any of various places named Beckley, such as those in Kent
, and Sussex
. The place name Beckley comes from the Old English name becca
with the Old English word leah,
meaning a clearing in the forest.
The surname Baxley was first found in Sussex
and Buckingham where they held a family seat
from early times.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Baxley include Beckley, Beckly, Bistley, Bickley and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Baxley research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1661 and 1438 are included under the topic Early Baxley History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Baxley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Baxley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Baxley, who landed in Maryland in 1663
Baxley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William H. Baxley, aged 26, who arrived in America, in 1909
- Ella M. Baxley, aged 40, who arrived in America, in 1914
- Walter Baxley, aged 24, who arrived in America from New York, in 1917
- William Provost Baxley, aged 6, who arrived at Pleasantville, N.Y., in 1919
- George Baxley, aged 26, who arrived in America, in 1923
- Dennis K. Baxley (b. 1952), American politician, Member of the Florida House of Representatives (2012-)
- Paul R. Baxley Jr. (1923-2011), American stunt coordinator and stuntman, stunt double of William Shatner on Star Trek
- Lucy Baxley (b. 1937), American former politician, 28th Lieutenant Governor of Alabama (2003-2007), 37th Alabama State Treasurer (1995-2003)
- Craig Redding Baxley (b. 1949), American director, stunt coordinator, stunt performer
- Isaac Rieman Baxley (1850-1920), American poet and playwright
- Barbara Baxley (1923-1990), American Tony Award nominated actress of stage, film and television
- William Joseph Baxley II, (b. 1941), American Democratic politician, 24th Lieutenant Governor of Alabama (1983-1987), 41st Attorney General of Alabama, famous for reopening a case against the Ku Klux Klan which resulting in a conviction
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Baxley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Baxley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2015 at 09:42.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!