on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Basham family come from? What is the English Basham family crest and coat of arms? When did the Basham family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Basham family history?In ancient Anglo-Saxon England, the ancestors of the Basham surname lived in or around either of the settlements called Barsham in Norfolk and Suffolk.
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Basham are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Basham include: Basham, Bosham, Barsham, Bassham, Bashan, Bashum and many more.
First found in Norfolk, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Basham research. Another 398 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1198, 1367, 1400, 1500, 1804, and 1843 are included under the topic Early Basham History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Basham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Basham or a variant listed above:
Basham Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Andrew Basham, who sailed to Virginia in 1639
- Andrew Basham, who landed in Virginia in 1639
- Ann Basham, who arrived in Virginia in 1651
- Ann Basham journeyed to Virginia in 1651
Basham Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Wallis Basham, aged 46, who emigrated to Maynard, Iowa, in 1908
- John Basham, aged 41, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Sophie Basham, aged 23, who emigrated to America from Bermuda, in 1915
- Oscar Basham, aged 25, who landed in America from London, England, in 1917
- Arthur Bradley Basham, aged 63, who emigrated to the United States from Wittersham, England, in 1917
Basham Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Chas. F. T. Basham, aged 19, who settled in Chatham, Ontario, Canada, in 1914
- Irene Basham, aged 23, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1922
- Charles Basham, aged 27, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1922
- Lyle Douglas "Doug" Basham Jr. (b. 1971), American wrestler, also known by his ring name Basham
- Raymond E. Basham (b. 1945), American politician
- William Ralph Basham (b. 1943), American Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Christopher Paul "Chris" Basham (b. 1988), English footballer
- Steven Brian Basham (b. 1977), English association footballer
- Professor Arthur Llewellyn Basham (1914-1986), Australian historian with the Australian National University in Canberra
- Andrew Basham (b. 1983), Canadian politician, leader of the Green Party (2006 to 2008)
- Don Wilson Basham (1926-1989), American religious teacher
- Jerry Basham and Ellen Higgs: Their Descendants, Ancestors and Related Families by Omeegene Powers Powell.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Basham Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Basham Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 September 2014 at 16:50.
on orders of $85 or more