Bartlow History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the Bartlow surname lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. The name comes from when they lived in Yorkshire.
Early Origins of the Bartlow family
The surname Bartlow was first found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Bartlow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bartlow research. Another 200 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1400, 1500, 1661, 1708, 1750, 1769, 1780, and 1821 are included under the topic Early Bartlow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bartlow Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Bartlow include Bartlam, Bartlum, Barthlam, Bartlan, Batelman, Bartleman and many more.
Early Notables of the Bartlow family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bartlow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bartlow migration to the United States
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Bartlow Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mrs. Florence Bartlow, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States in 1892
Bartlow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Russell Bartlow, aged 34, who immigrated to America, in 1907
- Russell P. Bartlow, aged 39, who settled in Lairdsville, Pennsylvania, in 1912
- Annie Bartlow, aged 28, who immigrated to Lairdsville, Pennsylvania, in 1912
Contemporary Notables of the name Bartlow (post 1700)
- Bert S. Bartlow, American Democrat politician, Member of Ohio State House of Representatives from Butler County; Elected 1897 
Historic Events for the Bartlow family
- Miss Theresa Bartlow (1911-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the explosion 
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Halifax Explosion Book of Remembrance | Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. (Retrieved 2014, June 23) . Retrieved from https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/what-see-do/halifax-explosion/halifax-explosion-book-remembrance