Bartling History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Anglo-Saxon name Bartling comes from when the family resided in Yorkshire.
Early Origins of the Bartling family
The surname Bartling was first found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Bartling family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bartling research. Another 200 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1400, 1500, 1661, 1708, 1750, 1769, 1780, and 1821 are included under the topic Early Bartling History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bartling Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Bartling has been recorded under many different variations, including Bartlam, Bartlum, Barthlam, Bartlan, Batelman, Bartleman and many more.
Early Notables of the Bartling family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bartling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bartling migration to the United States
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Bartling or a variant listed above:
Bartling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ernst H Bartling, aged 24, who landed in Missouri in 1841 
Contemporary Notables of the name Bartling (post 1700)
- William Bartling (1880-1951), American politician, Representative from South Dakota 1st District, 1924 
- Julie Bartling, American Republican politician, South Dakota State Auditor; Elected 2010 
- Floyd William Bartling (1896-1984), American Republican politician, Member of Wyoming State House of Representatives, 1938-42; Member of Wyoming State Senate, 1942-50 
- Charles F. Bartling, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana 8th District, 1906 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html