Bartleman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Bartleman family name are in the Anglo-Saxon culture. The name Bartleman comes from when the family lived in Yorkshire.
Early Origins of the Bartleman family
The surname Bartleman was first found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Bartleman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bartleman research. Another 200 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1400, 1500, 1661, 1708, 1750, 1769, 1780, and 1821 are included under the topic Early Bartleman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bartleman Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Bartleman has appeared include Bartlam, Bartlum, Barthlam, Bartlan, Batelman, Bartleman and many more.
Early Notables of the Bartleman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bartleman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bartleman migration to the United States
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Bartleman arrived in North America very early:
Typical Bartleman Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Bartleman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Adam Bartleman journeyed to Philadelphia in 1754
Contemporary Notables of the name Bartleman (post 1700)
- Frank Bartleman (1871-1936), American Pentecostal writer, evangelist and missionary
- Richard Milne Bartleman (b. 1863), American politician, U.S. Consul in Antigua, 1895-96; Malaga, 1896-98, 1899-1900; Geneva, 1900; Valencia, 1901-03; Cadiz, 1903-04; Seville, 1904-06; Madrid, 1907-09; Cienfuegos, 1914-17 
- James Bartleman (1769-1821), English bass singer
- James Karl Bartleman OC OOnt (1939-2002), Canadian diplomat, author, the 27th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario (2002 to 2007)
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html