Barne History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Irish name Barne was originally written in a Gaelic form as O Birn or O Beirn, from the Norse forename Bjorn.
Early Origins of the Barne family
The surname Barne was first found in Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Barne family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barne research. Another 162 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1747, 1748, 1789, 1812, 1823, 1850, 1853, and 1887 are included under the topic Early Barne History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barne Spelling Variations
People who were accounted for by scribes and church officials often had their name recorded many different ways because pronunciation was the only guide those scribes and church officials had to go by. This resulted in the problem of one person's name being recorded under several different variations, creating the illusion of more than one person. Among the many spelling variations of the surname Barne that are preserved in archival documents are Bierne, O'Bierne, Biern, O'Biern, Beirne, O'Beirne, Beirn, O'Beirn, Birn, O'Birn, Birne and many more.
Early Notables of the Barne family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Barne Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barne migration to the United States +
A great mass of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century, seeking relief from various forms of social, religious, and economic discrimination. This Irish exodus was primarily to North America. If the migrants survived the long ocean journey, many unfortunately would find more discrimination in the colonies of British North America and the fledgling United States of America. These newly arrived Irish were, however, wanted as a cheap source of labor for the many large agricultural and industrial projects that were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the western world. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the Barne name:
Barne Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Barne, aged 33, who arrived in St Christopher in 1635 
- Edward Barne, who arrived in Virginia in 1679 
Barne migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Barne Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Barne, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Indian" in 1849 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) The INDIAN 1849. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1849Indian.htm