Baptie History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Baptie family
The surname Baptie was first found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Baptie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Baptie research. Another 108 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1270, 1296 and 1323 are included under the topic Early Baptie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Baptie Spelling Variations
Although the name, Baptie, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Baptie, Badby, Bapty, Badbie, Badbee, Baddeby, Badbe and many more.
Early Notables of the Baptie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Baptie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Baptie migration to the United States
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Baptie family name Baptie, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Baptie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Baptie, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872 
Baptie Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Robert Baptie, aged 18, who landed in America from Millerhill, Scotland, in 1907
- John Baptie, aged 22, who settled in America from Galashiels, England, in 1908
- Jean Baptie, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1912
- Jemima Baptie, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Niddrie, Scotland, in 1912
- Helen Baptie, aged 3, who landed in America from Niddrie, Scotland, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Baptie (post 1700)
- Norval Baptie (1879-1966), Canadian World record holding speed skater, a champion figure skater, inductee into the Canada's Sports Hall of Fame (1963)
- Crawford Baptie (b. 1959), retired Scottish footballer
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)