100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origins of the Bagnall name come from when the Anglo-Saxon tribes ruled over Britain. The name Bagnall was originally derived from a family having lived in or around the region of Bagnall, which was in the parish of Stoke-upon-Trent in the county of Staffordshire.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Bagnall include Bagnall, Bagnal, Bagnold, Bagenald, Bagnald, Bagenal, Bagnell and many more.
First found in Staffordshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bagnall research. Another 252 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1600 and 1631 are included under the topic Early Bagnall History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bagnall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bagnall family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Bagnall Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Walter Bagnall settled in Massachusetts in 1620
- Walter Bagnall who settled in Maine in 1626
- Walter Bagnall, who landed in Maine in 1628
- Roger Bagnall, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Thomas Bagnall settled in New England in 1654
Bagnall Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Bagnall, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1723
- Benjamin Bagnall, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1724
- James Bagnall, who arrived in America in 1760
Bagnall Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Bagnall, English convict from York, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Thomas Bagnall, aged 21, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Lord Raglan"
Bagnall Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Bagnall, aged 35, a carpenter, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Olympus" in 1842
- Lydia Bagnall, aged 34, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Olympus" in 1842
- Mary Bagnall, aged 11, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Olympus" in 1842
- Ann Bagnall, aged 9, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Olympus" in 1842
- Sir Nigel Bagnall (1927-2002), English Army Field Marshal, Chief of the General Staff (1985-1989)
- Sir Anthony John Crowther Bagnall (b. 1945), English RAF Air Chief Marshal, and Vice-Chief of the Defense Staff
- Kenneth Bagnall, Judge
- William Gordon Bagnall (1852-1907), British mechanical engineer
- Roger S Bagnall (b. 1947), professor of classics at Columbia University
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Bagnall Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bagnall Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2014 at 11:17.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!