Early Origins of the Autry family
The surname Autry was first found in Kirkcudbrightshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Chille Chuithbheirt), part of the present day Council Area of Dumfries and Galloway
, former county in Southwestern Scotland
, where they held a family seat
some say before the 12th century. The Clan
MacUchtry of Garvie is stated by the Duke of Argyll to have had the lands in Glenderuel from the Earls of Argyll in the Middle Ages.
Early History of the Autry family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Autry research.Another 82 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1199, 1400, 1522, 1575 and 1660 are included under the topic Early Autry History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Autry Spelling Variations
of this family name include: MacAughtrie, McAughtrie, Macaughtrie, MacAutry, McAutry, MacAutrey, McAutrey, Autry, Autrey, Autrie, Coughtrie, Cautry, Caughtry, Caughtrie, MacUchtrie, McUchtrie, MacUchtry, McAuchtry, MacOrtrie, McOrtry, McOrtie, McUchtraigh, MacAuchtraigh, MacAutraigh, Uthreson, Utherson, MacCautry, MacCautrie, McCautry, McCaughtry and many more.
Early Notables of the Autry family (pre 1700)
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Autry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Autry family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Ribert and Jane Caughtry arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804 (McCaughty).
Contemporary Notables of the name Autry (post 1700)
- Melvin Henry "Hank" Autry (b. 1947), former American AFL and NFL football player who played from 1969 to 1970
- Albert "Al" Autry (b. 1952), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played for one game for the Atlanta Braves on September 14, 1976
- Adrian "Red" Christopher Autry (b. 1972), retired American basketball player, current assistant coach for Syracuse University men's basketball team
- Micajah Autry (1794-1836), American merchant, poet and lawyer who died at the Battle of the Alamo
- Jackie Autry (b. 1941), born Jacqueline Evelyn Ellam, former owner of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, widow of singer and actor Gene Autry
- Martin Gordon "Chick" Autry (1903-1950), American Major League Baseball catcher who played from 1924 to 1930
- William Askew "Chick" Autry (1885-1976), American National League Baseball first baseman who played from 1907 to 1909
- Harrington Darnell Autry (b. 1976), former American college anbd NFL football player
- Carlos Alan Autry (b. 1952), American actor, former NFL football player, best known for his role on the television series In the Heat of the Night (1998 to 1992)
- Orvon Gene Autry (1907-1998), American singer, better known as "The Singing Cowboy", inducted into both the Country Music Hall of Fame and Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame, remembered for his Christmas holiday songs, "Here Comes Santa Claus", "Frosty the Snowman", and his biggest hit, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"
- ... (Another 2 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Suggested Readings for the name Autry
- Meet Our Ancestors: Culbreth, Autry, Maxwell-Bundy, Winslow, Henley, and Allied Families by V. Mayo Bundy.