Ascroft History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The present generation of the Ascroft family is only the most recent to bear a name that dates back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name comes from having lived in Norfolk. Ashcroft means the dweller in the croft where the ash trees grow. 
Early Origins of the Ascroft family
The surname Ascroft was first found in Norfolk where one of the first records of the name was Margaret de Asecroft who was listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1275 in this county.  Richard Ashcroft was also listed in Norfolk in the Feet of Fines. 
Important Dates for the Ascroft family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ascroft research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1592 and 1602 are included under the topic Early Ascroft History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ascroft Spelling Variations
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Ascroft include Ashecroft, Ashecroft, Ashcroft, Ashcrofte, Ascroft, Ascrofte, Ashcraft and many more.
Early Notables of the Ascroft family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ascroft Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ascroft migration to the United States
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Ascroft were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Ascroft Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Ascroft, who settled in Virginia in 1699
Contemporary Notables of the name Ascroft (post 1700)
- William Ascroft (1832-1914), English artist best known for his color sketches of sunsets over Chelsea
- Eileen Ascroft (d. 1962), English journalist and writer
- Robert Ascroft JP, MP (1847-1899), English solicitor and politician, Member of Parliament for Oldham (1895-1899)
- Harry Ascroft (b. 1995), Australian footballer, member of the Australian National Team (2014-)
You May Also Like
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)