The family name Arrow is believed to be descended originally from the Norman race. The Normans
were commonly believed to be of French origin but were, more accurately, of Viking origin. The Vikings
landed in the Orkneys and Northern Scotland
about 870 AD, under their King, Stirgud the Stout. Later, under their Jarl, Thorfinn Rollo, they invaded France about 911 AD. The French King, Charles the Simple, after Rollo laid siege to Paris, finally conceded defeat and granted northern France to Rollo. Rollo became the first Duke of Normandy
. Duke William, who invaded and defeated England
in 1066, descended from the first Duke Rollo of Normandy. The Arrow name is a reference to Artois, France, where the family lived prior to emigrating to Scotland.
Early Origins of the Arrow family
The surname Arrow was first found in Staffordshire
, where they were Lords of the manor of Arras from early times. They were descended from Bagod of Arras who was descended from the Carloviginian, Count of Artois. Sir Robert Arras held the village of Bromley in that shire from Robert De Toeni, he was Lord of the manor of Arras in Buckinghamshire
. But the main branch of the family moved north into Scotland
in the train of King David I of Scotland
about 1130, who granted them lands in Dumfries.
Early History of the Arrow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Arrow research.Another 85 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1296, 1332, 1525, and 1565 are included under the topic Early Arrow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Arrow Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Arris, Aris, Ariss, Arras, Arres, Arros, Arrows, Arowes, Arwys, Arrarous, Arrous and many more.
Early Notables of the Arrow family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Arrow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Arrow family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Arrow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Federick Arrow, aged 24, who settled in America from London, in 1904
- Annie Arrow, aged 0, who immigrated to the United States from London, in 1905
- Sarah Arrow, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from London, in 1905
- Carl Arrow, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1918
- Peter Arrow, aged 66, who landed in America, in 1921
Contemporary Notables of the name Arrow (post 1700)
- Kenneth Arrow (1921-2017), American economist, joint winner of the 1972 Nobel Prize in Economics
- Tre Arrow, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Oregon 3rd District, 2000 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
Arrow Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html