Arkwright History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Arkwright comes from one of the family having worked as a maker of chests, or other pieces of furniture. Wright is a word for a cabinet maker, or more generally a worker in wood. The element "ark" is derived from the Old English arc, meaning "ark, chest," and "wright" which is derived from the Old English wyrhta, meaning "craftsman, maker."
Early Origins of the Arkwright family
The surname Arkwright was first found in Derbyshire, where the Arkwright family held a family seat from very early times, long before the Norman Conquest of the Duke of Normandy, in 1066. They were the makers of chests.
Important Dates for the Arkwright family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Arkwright research. Another 50 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1732, 1792 and 1769 are included under the topic Early Arkwright History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Arkwright Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Arkwright have been found, including: Arkwright, Arkright, Artrick, Artrip, Hartwright, Hartrick and many more.
Early Notables of the Arkwright family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Arkwright Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Arkwright migration to the United States
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Arkwright, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were :
Arkwright Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Arkwright, who settled in Jamaica in 1685
Contemporary Notables of the name Arkwright (post 1700)
- George Alfred Arkwright (1888-1972), American Republican politician, lawyer 
- May Arkwright (1860-1915), American suffrage leader in the early history of the Pacific Northwest of the United States
- John Arkwright, American author
- Marian Arkwright (1863-1922), English composer
- Ian Arkwright (b. 1959), English professional footballer who played from 1978 to 1988
- Henry Arkwright (1837-1866), English amateur cricketer
- Henry Arkwright (1811-1889), English amateur cricketer
- Harold Arthur Arkwright (1872-1942), English cricketer who played from 1893 to 1898
- George Arkwright (1807-1856), English politician, Member of Parliament for Leominster (1842–1856)
- Francis Godfrey Bertram Arkwright (1905-1942), English cricketer
- ... (Another 12 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html