Aris History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The family name Aris is believed to be descended originally from the Norman race. The Normans were commonly believed to be of French origin but were, more accurately, of Viking origin. The Vikings landed in the Orkneys and Northern Scotland about 870 AD, under their King, Stirgud the Stout. Later, under their Jarl, Thorfinn Rollo, they invaded France about 911 AD. The French King, Charles the Simple, after Rollo laid siege to Paris, finally conceded defeat and granted northern France to Rollo. Rollo became the first Duke of Normandy. Duke William, who invaded and defeated England in 1066, descended from the first Duke Rollo of Normandy. The Aris name is a reference to Artois, France, where the family lived prior to emigrating to Scotland.
Early Origins of the Aris family
The surname Aris was first found in Staffordshire, where they were Lords of the manor of Arras from early times. They were descended from Bagod of Arras who was descended from the Carloviginian, Count of Artois. Sir Robert Arras held the village of Bromley in that shire from Robert De Toeni, he was Lord of the manor of Arras in Buckinghamshire. But the main branch of the family moved north into Scotland in the train of King David I of Scotland about 1130, who granted them lands in Dumfries.
Important Dates for the Aris family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Aris research. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1296, 1332, 1525, and 1565 are included under the topic Early Aris History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Aris Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Arris, Aris, Ariss, Arras, Arres, Arros, Arrows, Arowes, Arwys, Arrarous, Arrous and many more.
Early Notables of the Aris family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Aris Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Aris migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Aris Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Aris, who sailed to Maryland in 1674
Aris migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Aris Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
Contemporary Notables of the name Aris (post 1700)
- Robert Aris Willmott (1809-1863), English author from Bradford in Wiltshire, son of a solicitor 
- Leslie Aris Wikel (1884-1959), American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 12th District, 1948; Candidate for Mayor of Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1949 
- ^ State Library of Queensland. (Retrieved 2014, November 27) Andromeda voyage to New South Wales, Australia in 1832 with 186 passengers. Retrieved from http://www.convictrecords.com.au/ships/andromeda/1832
- ^ Wikisource contributors. "Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900." Wikisource . Wikisource , 4 Jun. 2018. Web. 4 Feb. 2019
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html