Ardell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The original Gaelic versions of today's Irish names demonstrate a proud, ancient past. The original Gaelic form of the name Ardell is Mac Ardghail, from the word "ardghal," which means "high valor."
Early Origins of the Ardell family
The surname Ardell was first found in County Louth (Irish: Lú) the smallest county in Ireland, located on the East coast, in the Province of Leinster, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Early History of the Ardell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ardell research. Another 118 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1172 and 1592 are included under the topic Early Ardell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ardell Spelling Variations
Just like the English language, the Gaelic language of Ireland was not standardized in the Middle Ages. Therefore, one's name was often recorded under several different spellings during the life of its bearer. Spelling variations revealed in the search for the origins of the Ardell family name include Cardle, McCardle, Cardell, McCardel, McCardell and others.
Early Notables of the Ardell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ardell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ardell migration to the United States +
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name Ardell:
Ardell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Ardell, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1686 
- William Ardell, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1687 
Ardell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Ardell, aged 20, who arrived in New York in 1849 
- Henry Ardell, aged 18, who landed in New York in 1849 
Ardell migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Ardell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Ardell, aged 28, a farm labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sibella" 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ardell (post 1700) +
- Donald B. Ardell, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Tampa, Florida, 2003 
- Daniel Miers Ardell (b. 1941), American former Major League Baseball player who played for the Los Angeles Angels in 1961
- Ardell F. Brede (b. 1939), American politician, Mayor of Rochester, Minnesota (2003-)
- Ardell F. Brede (b. 1939), American politician, Mayor of Rochester, Minnesota, 2003- 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ South Australian Register Tuesday 3 February 1852. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) SIBELLA 1852. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/sibella1852.shtml.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 25) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html