Early Origins of the Apeslay family
The surname Apeslay was first found in Sussex
where it is generally understood that the first record on the name was Simon de Apsele who was listed there in 1297. The Subsidy Rolls
list Stephen de Apsele in 1327. CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
Another source noted the family held a manor at Thakeham as early as 1347. CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print. This latter entry is presumably referring to Apsley Farm at Thakeham. It should also be noted that Aspley is a township, in the parish of Eccleshall, union of Stone in Staffordshire and a hamlet in the parish of Wootton-Wawen, union of Stratford in Warwickshire and Aspley-Guise (Aspely End) is a parish in the union of Woburn, hundred of Manshead in Bedfordshire.
The Bedfordshire parish dates back to 1330 when it was first listed as simply Aspele in 1230 and literally meant "aspen-tree wood," from the Old English "aespe" + "leah." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
Aspey, Herefordshire is a 19th century mill village. Apsley House, also known as Number One, London, is the London townhouse of the Dukes of Wellington.
Early History of the Apeslay family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Apeslay research.Another 182 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1510, 1600, 1076, 1562, 1084, 1135, 1406, 1562, 1455, 1487, 1603, 1605, 1646, 1675, 1567, 1630, 1616, 1683, 1640, 1623, 1632, 1578, 1599, 1653 and 1727 are included under the topic Early Apeslay History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Apeslay Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations
under which the name Apeslay has appeared include Apsley, Apsly, Apslie, Apsleigh, Apslye, Apslee, Apslea, Apselie, Apsely, Apsellie and many more.
Early Notables of the Apeslay family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir John Apsley of the City of London; his son, Sir Allen Apsley (1567-1630), English merchant, courtier and landowner, Lord of the Manor of Feltwell, one of the founders of the New England
Company; and his son, Sir Allen Apsley (1616-1683) Royalist soldier in the... Another 97 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Apeslay Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Apeslay family to Ireland
Some of the Apeslay family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 42 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Apeslay family to the New World and Oceana
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England
was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England
at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Apeslay arrived in North America very early: Abagail Apsley, aged 60, who arrived at Ellis Island
from Hudson, Mass., in 1923; Abagail F. Apsley, aged 60, who arrived at Ellis Island
from Hudson, Mass., in 1923.