Ankrom History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
In ancient Scotland, the first people to use Ankrom as a surname were the Strathclyde- Britons. It was a name someone who lived in Roxburghshire (Borders) at Ancrum, a small village which had earlier been called Alncromb, which literally meant "a bend in the river Ale."
Early Origins of the Ankrom family
The surname Ankrom was first found in Dumbartonshire, where they held a family seat in the lands of Ancrum from about the 11th century.
Early History of the Ankrom family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ankrom research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1358, 1361, 1370 and 1781 are included under the topic Early Ankrom History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ankrom Spelling Variations
The origin of rules governing the spelling of names and even words is a very recent innovation. Before that, words and names were spelled according to sound, and, therefore, often appeared under several different spelling variations in a single document. Ankrom has been spelled Ancram, Ancrum, Ancrumb, Anckrum, Ancromb, Allyncrum, Alncrum, Alyncrome, Allyncom and many more.
Early Notables of the Ankrom family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ankrom Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ankrom migration to the United States +
The persecution faced in their homeland left many Scots with little to do but sail for the colonies of North America. There they found land, freedom, opportunity, and nations in the making. They fought for their freedom in the American War of Independence, or traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In both cases, they made enormous contributions to the formation of those great nations. Among them:
Ankrom Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robert Kerr Ankrom, who arrived in Virginia in 1737 
Ankrom Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- J. H. Ankrom, aged 45, who landed in America from Singapore, in 1907
- Jacob Henry Ankrom, aged 46, who settled in America, in 1911
Contemporary Notables of the name Ankrom (post 1700) +
- Scott Randall Ankrom (b. 1966), former professional American NFL football wide receiver
- William Ankrom, American politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates 2nd District, 1895-96 
- Nora Ankrom, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from West Virginia, 2008 
- Michael Ankrom, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from West Virginia, 2008; Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 17th District, 2012 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html