The surname Allyncume was first used in the Scottish/English Borderlands by an ancient Scottish people called the Strathclyde- Britons
. It was a name for someone who lived in Roxburghshire
(Borders) at Ancrum, a small village which had earlier been called Alncromb,
which literally meant "a bend in the river Ale."
Early Origins of the Allyncume family
The surname Allyncume was first found in Dumbartonshire
, where they held a family seat
in the lands of Ancrum from about the 11th century.
Early History of the Allyncume family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Allyncume research.Another 241 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1358, 1361, 1370 and 1781 are included under the topic Early Allyncume History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Allyncume Spelling Variations
Spelling and translation were hardly exact sciences in Medieval Scotland
. Sound, rather than any set of rules, was the basis for spellings, so one name was often spelled different ways even within a single document. Spelling variations
are thus an extremely common occurrence in Medieval Scottish names. Allyncume has been spelled Ancram, Ancrum, Ancrumb, Anckrum, Ancromb, Allyncrum, Alncrum, Alyncrome, Allyncom and many more.
Early Notables of the Allyncume family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Allyncume Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Allyncume family to the New World and Oceana
Such hard times forced many to leave their homeland in search of opportunity across the Atlantic. Many of these families settled along the east coast of North America in communities that would become the backbones of the young nations of the United States and Canada. The ancestors of many of these families have rediscovered their roots in the 20th century through the establishment of Clan
societies and other patriotic Scottish organizations. Among them: William Ancrum who settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1766.