Allway History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The origins of the name Allway are with the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from the Old English personal name Æthelwig, which originally meant noble-war, Ælfwig, which meant elf-war, or Ealdwig, which meant old war.
Early Origins of the Allway family
The surname Allway was first found in Suffolk, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Allway family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Allway research. Another 157 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1188, 1200, 1206, 1221, 1264, 1273, 1273, 1301, 1544, 1599 and 1681 are included under the topic Early Allway History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Allway Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Allway has been spelled many different ways, including Alway, Allway, Alewy, Alwy, Always, Allways, Ailwi, Alwi, Alawy, Alewi, Alwaye and many more.
Early Notables of the Allway family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Allway Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Allway family
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Allways to arrive in North America: Robert Alway, who was recorded in Oxford County, Ontario in 1835; J.W. Alway in Lincoln County, Ontario in 1872; and Alfred Alway in Haldimand County, Ontario in 1877..