Alarie History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Alarie family
The surname Alarie was first found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where they were formerly seated in the barony of Saint Hilaire de Sancto Hilario. The first of the name was James de Sancto Hilario who held the castle of St. Hilaire about the year 1100. James, who was the son of Harsculf de St. James who also held the castle of St. Hilaire, was the first to adopt the name of his castle for his surname. Saint Hilaire du Harcourt is in Manche in the arrondissement of Mortain, the canton of St. Hilaire du Harcourt.
Over in Cornwall, England evidence was found of a migration there as St. Hilary is a parish of some size. "This parish is indebted for its present name to St. Hilary, bishop of Poictiers, who was driven into Phrygia for his attachment to the rectitude of faith, and invincible adherence to the doctrine of the godhead of Christ. He was banished in the year 556, but was recalled about the year 560, and died at Poietiers about six years afterwards. At what particular period this parish first assumed the name of its patron saint, is rather uncertain ; but it is known to have been distinguished by this appellation early in the fourteenth century." 
Early History of the Alarie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alarie research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1373, 1412, 1689 and 1770 are included under the topic Early Alarie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alarie Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: St. Hilaire, Saint Hilaire, Hilaire, St-Hillaire, Saint-Hillaire, St-Hillier, Saint-Hillier, St-Hylaire, Saint-Hylaire, St-Hilary, Saint-Hilary, D'Hilaire and many more.
Early Notables of the Alarie family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Alarie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In Quebec, Canada, the name Alarie is the 505th most popular surname. 
Alarie migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Alarie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Caroline Alarie, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States, in 1894
Contemporary Notables of the name Alarie (post 1700) +
- Mark Steven Alarie (b. 1963), retired American professional NBA basketball player
- Donald Alarie (b. 1945), French Canadian writer from Montreal, Quebec
- Hélène Alarie (b. 1941), French Canadian member of the Canadian House of Commons from 1997 to 2000
- Pierrette Alarie CC CQ (1921-2011), French Canadian coloratura soprano
Related Stories +
- ^ Hutchins, Fortescue, The History of Cornwall, from the Earliest Records and Traditions to the Present Time. London: William Penaluna, 1824. Print
- ^ https://statistique.quebec.ca/fr/document/noms-de-famille-au-quebec/tableau/les-1-000-premiers-noms-de-famille-selon-le-rang-quebec