Akkerman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The history of the name Akkerman dates back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It is derived from a member of the family who worked as a ploughman, a tiller of the soil, or a farmer. The name Akkerman was originally derived from the Old German word Akermann, which literally means acreman.
Early Origins of the Akkerman family
The surname Akkerman was first found in Dorset where they held a family seat as Lords of the manor, some say before the Norman Conquest by Duke William in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Akkerman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Akkerman research. Another 108 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Akkerman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Akkerman Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Akkerman has undergone many spelling variations, including Akerman, Acreman, Ackerman, Akarman, Acherman and many more.
Early Notables of the Akkerman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Akkerman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Akkerman migration to the United States
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Akkerman were among those contributors:
Akkerman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Ellerbroek Akkerman, aged 24, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Mrs. J Akkerman, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Jan Akkerman, aged 26, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
Contemporary Notables of the name Akkerman (post 1700)
- Wichert Akkerman, Dutch computer programmer, Debian Project Leader (1999-2001)
- Jan Akkerman (b. 1946), Dutch musician and composer
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)