on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Whitfield family come from? What is the English Whitfield family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitfield family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitfield family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whytefield, Whitfield, Whitefield, Whitefeild and others.
First found in Northumberland at Whitfield, a parish, in the union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward where "this place was for six centuries the property of the Whitfield family, to whom the Countess Ada, widow of Henry, Earl of Huntingdon, and mother of William the Lion, King of Scotland, made a grant of it in fee, with the exception of some lands to be held under the convent of Hexham; shortly after which, the family had a grant from that establishment of nearly all Whitfield."  Due to the literal translation of the surname to "dweller by the white field,"  there are many other place name in both common spellings, Whitefield and Whitfield; too many to list here. The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list: Margery de Wytefled in Oxfordshire; and Peter de Whytefled in Norfolk. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitfield research. Another 237 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1650, 1371, 1384, 1378, 1401, 1378 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Whitfield History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 53 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitfield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Whitfield family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 45 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitfield Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gilbert Whitfield, who landed in Virginia in 1623
- John Whitfield settled in Virginia in 1635
- John Whitfield, aged 20, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Henry Whitfield, who arrived in New England in 1639
- Henry Whitfield settled in New England in 1639
Whitfield Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Whitfield, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1707
- William Whitfield, who arrived in New England in 1709
- Susanna Whitfield, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1746
- Joshua Whitfield, who arrived in America in 1764
Whitfield Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Whitfield, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1832
- George T Whitfield, who arrived in New York in 1834
- S Whitfield, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- James Whitfield, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
Whitfield Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Richd Whitfield, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749
Whitfield Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- W. Whitfield arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke of Roxburghe" in 1838
- Ann Whitfield arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1849
- Catherine Whitfield arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1849
- Ann Whitfield, aged 19, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
- Catherine Whitfield, aged 25, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
Whitfield Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Whitfield arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Persia" in 1860
- Malvin Greston "Mal" Whitfield (1924-2015), American member of the Tuskegee Airmen, Olympic champion in the 800 metres at the 1948 and 1952 Summer Olympics, father of CNN anchor Fredricka Whitfield, inducted into the National Track and Field Hall of Fame in 1974
- Albert H. Whitfield, American politician, Justice of Mississippi State Supreme Court, 1894-1910; Chief Justice of Mississippi State Supreme Court, 1900-10
- Fredricka Whitfield (b. 1965), American news anchor for CNN
- Thomas Anthony Whitfield (1954-1992), American gospel singer, songwriter, arranger and pianist
- Evan Dylan Whitfield (b. 1977), retired American soccer player
- Terry Bertland Whitfield (b. 1953), American former Major League Baseball player
- Brent Whitfield (b. 1981), American soccer player
- Barrence Whitfield (b. 1955), born Barry White, an American soul and R&B vocalist
- Charles Asbury Whitfield (b. 1859), American Democrat politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Person County, 1899, 1913-14
- C. M. Whitfield, American politician, Mayor of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, 1942-49
- Whitfield History and Genealogy of Tennessee by Vallie Jo Fox Whitfield.
- Virginia History and Whitfield Biographies by Vallie Jo Fox.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
The Whitfield Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitfield Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2015 at 08:57.
on orders of $85 or more