on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish Weir family come from? What is the Irish Weir family crest and coat of arms? When did the Weir family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Weir family history?The surname Weir is an Anglicization of Mac an Mhaoir.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wyer, Weir, Weyre, Wyre, Wyers and others.
First found in County Westmeath (Irish: An Iarmhí) in the Irish Midlands, province of Leinster.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weir research. Another 390 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1656, 1659, 1803, 1852, and 1889 are included under the topic Early Weir History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 22 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weir Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weir Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Weir settled in New England in 1685
Weir Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robert and Rachel Weir settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1763
- Andrew Weir, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1763
- David Weir, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
- John Weir, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
- Thomas Weir, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
Weir Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Geo Weir, who landed in America in 1805
- James Weir, who arrived in Virginia in 1810
- Joseph Weir, aged 26, arrived in Delaware in 1812
- Arthur Weir, aged 24, landed in Delaware in 1812
- Eliza Weir, who arrived with two children in New York in 1822
Weir Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Richard and Thomas Weir settled in St. John's, Newfoundland, in 1814
- Robert Weir, who was a joiner from Glasgow, Scotland, married in St. John's in 1847
- Jane Weir, who settled in St. John, New Brunswick in 1848
- Agnes Weir, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1848
- Mary Weir, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1848
Weir Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Colin Weir, a blacksmith, arrived in Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- David Weir arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
- Martha Weir arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
- Alfred Weir arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
Weir Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Weir, aged 44, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Inchinnan" in 1852
- James Weir arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen of Beauty" in 1863
- Margaret F. Weir arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen of Beauty" in 1863
- Janet Weir arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen of Beauty" in 1863
- Thomas Weir, aged 22, a farm labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Oxford" in 1874
- Colonel John Weir (d. 1912), aged 59, American First Class passenger from New York City, New York who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Samuel Edwin "Ed" Weir (1903-1991), American collegiate and professional football player
- Stephnie Carmel Weir (b. 1967), American actress, comedienne, and writer
- Julian Alden Weir (1852-1919), American impressionist painter
- Amanda Jo Weir (b. 1986), American Olympic silver medalist swimmer
- Robert Hall "Bob" Weir (b. 1947), American singer, songwriter, and guitarist, founding member of the Grateful Dead
- Mary Hayward Weir (1915-1968), American steel heiress and socialite
- Robert James "Robbie" Weir (b. 1988), Northern Irish footballer
- Mr. Cecil Hamilton Weir (d. 1915), Canadian 2nd Class passenger from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Mrs. Margaret Weir (d. 1915), Scottish Stewardess from Glasgow, Scotland, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking and was recovered
- The Normans, 1720-1976, and Information on the Walker, Clayton and Weir Families Of Mississippi by Maggie Laurie Carson.
- Tims-Weir: The Ancestry of William Robert Tims of Augusta Texas by Janet Weir Scott.
- Weir/Wear Families: From Here & There to the White House by Olga Jones Edwards.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
The Weir Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weir Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 November 2015 at 03:22.
on orders of $85 or more