100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tompkins family come from? What is the English Tompkins family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tompkins family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tompkins family history?The distinguished surname Tompkins is of English origin. It is derived from the first name "Tom," the popular diminutive of the name "Thomas," and, when combined with the Medieval suffix of endearment "kin," means "son of dear little Tom."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tompkins, Tomkins, Tomkyns, Thomkins, Thompkins and others.
First found in Herefordshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times and were Lords of the manor of Monington.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tompkins research. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1661, 1572, 1656, 1569, 1636, 1624, 1629, 1605, 1674, 1640 and 1674 are included under the topic Early Tompkins History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tompkins Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Tompkins family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 91 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tompkins Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas and William, and Ralph, Samuel, Mary, and Katherine Tompkins, who settled in Boston in 1635
- John Tompkins, who settled in Virginia in 1636
- Thomas Tompkins, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Ralph Tompkins, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1638
- John Tompkins, who landed in Virginia in 1638
Tompkins Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Tompkins, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1720
Tompkins Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ezra C Tompkins, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1875
Tompkins Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Tompkins, English convict from Buckinghamshire, who was transported aboard the "America" on April 4, 1829, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Charles Tompkins arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Spartan" in 1849
- William Tompkins, aged 17, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "David McIvor"
Tompkins Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Joseph Tompkins, aged 21, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1879
- Fred Tompkins (b. 1943), American jazz flautist and composer
- Barry Tompkins (b. 1940), American sportscaster
- Brian Tompkins, English-born, Yale Varsity Soccer coach
- Daniel D Tompkins (1774-1825), American politician, 6th Vice President of the United States
- Stephen Tompkins (b. 1971), American artist, animator, and composer
- Granville Richard Francis Tompkins (1918-1992), British print, advertising, and retail entrepreneur, best known for founding the Green Shield Stamps company
- Sue Tompkins (b. 1971), British visual and sound artist
- The 7th U.S. Cavalry's Own Colonel Tommy Tompkins: A Military Heritage and Tradition by John M. Carrol.
- Travels in Search of an Ancestor: with Genealogies of the Tompkins, Kingsley, Kirkland (et al) Families by Grace Tompkins Walker.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Tompkins Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tompkins Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 December 2014 at 12:56.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!