on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Italian
Where did the English Stelly family come from? What is the English Stelly family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stelly family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stelly family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stille, Still, Stills, Stillie, Stylle and others.
First found in Wiltshire where they held a family seat from ancient times. The name originally Stille was a tenant in Wiltshire prior to the taking of the Domesday Book in 1086 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stelly research. Another 267 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1451, 1511, 1543, 1577, 1591, 1593, and 1608 are included under the topic Early Stelly History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 26 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stelly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stelly Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Simon Stelly, who arrived in Louisiana in 1718-1724
- Jacob Stelly, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1735
- Victor Theodore "Vic" Stelly (b. 1941), American politician and businessman, Member of Louisiana Board of Regents for Higher Education (2007-), eponym and developer of the Stelly Plan
- Joel Stelly (b. 1984), former American NFL football player for the Chicago Bears
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
The Stelly Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stelly Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 September 2013 at 08:14.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more