on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Italian
Where did the English Stelly family come from? What is the English Stelly family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stelly family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stelly family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stille, Still, Stills, Stillie, Stylle and others.
First found in Wiltshire where Stille was a tenant listed there prior to the Conquest.  The Domesday Book in 1086 A.D. lists Aluuinus Stilla in Hampshire.  Lefwinus Stille was listed in the Pipe Rolls of 1166 is Sussex and Richard le Stille was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Worcestershire in 1275.  Years later, the Subsidy Rolls of 1332 list John atte Stille in Worcestershire.  The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list Walter Stille in Oxfordshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stelly research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1451, 1511, 1591, 1543, 1608, 1593, 1608, 1577 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Stelly History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stelly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stelly Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Simon Stelly, who arrived in Louisiana in 1718-1724
- Jacob Stelly, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1735
- Joel Stelly (b. 1984), former American NFL football player for the Chicago Bears
- Victor Theodore "Vic" Stelly (b. 1941), American politician and businessman, Member of Louisiana Board of Regents for Higher Education (2007-), eponym and developer of the Stelly Plan
- Victor T. Stelly, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Louisiana, 1988
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Stelly Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stelly Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2015 at 11:01.
on orders of $85 or more