Early Origins of the Sorbie family
The surname Sorbie was first found in Galloway
(Gaelic: Gall-ghaidhealaibh), an area of southwestern Scotland
, now part of the Council Area of Dumfries and Galloway
, that formerly consisted of the counties of Wigtown
(West Galloway) and Kirkcudbright (East Galloway), where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Sorby and the parish, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D. The first record of the name was in the Wigtonshire now called the parish of Sorby. Many of the family moved from here to the parish of Stonehouse, Lanarkshire
. Sorbie is a small village in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland
. Sorbie Tower lies in Wigtownshire
, about a mile out of the village of Sorbie on the Garlieston Road. The old stone structure is in ruins today but stands close to Sorbie Motte, an earlier Pictish wood fort dating back to the 1100's.
Early History of the Sorbie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sorbie research.Another 84 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 166 and 1662 are included under the topic Early Sorbie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sorbie Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Sorby, Sorbie, Sowerby, Sowerbie, Sowersby, Sorebi, Soreby and many more.
Early Notables of the Sorbie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Sorbie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Sorbie family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sorbie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Sorbie, who settled in Texas in 1844
Contemporary Notables of the name Sorbie (post 1700)
- John Sorbie (1740-1813), Scottish progenitor to many of the North American descendants
- Trevor John Sorbie MBE (1949-1972), Scottish celebrity hairdresser, Artistic Director for Vidal Vidal Sassoon in 1972
- Dr. Charles Sorbie (1931-2010), Scottish-born Canadian professor and Head of Orthopaedic Surgery at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
- Andrew Sorbie Haddow, Scottish professional association football player from Glasgow
Sorbie Family Crest Products