Digital Products



Home & Barware


Customer Service

Skrymgeor History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms

Some surnames are derived from the occupation of the person who first held the name. Skrymgeor is most likely such a name, referring to one who was a fencing-master, coming from the old French "eskermisseour", meaning "fencer" and which came in turn from the old high German word "skirmen", which meant "to defend". Such fencing-masters always found plentiful employment in medieval Europe, though they were officially banned from some large cities, such as London, because they could be a dangerous influence on others. Notice the similarities between the name Skrymgeor and the modern English word "skirmisher".

Scrimshaw is the name given to scrollwork, engravings, and carvings done in bone or ivory. No one known why this name was attributed to whalers who spent their leisure time carving such works.

Early Origins of the Skrymgeor family

The surname Skrymgeor was first found in Fife, where some records speak of a Clan Scrymgeour, who held the position of hereditary standard-bearers of Scotland.

One of them, known originally as Alexander, son of Colyn, son of Carun, obtained in 1293 a lease of the land or Torr from Thomas de Kylmaron for his services in this position of standard-bearer.

By 1298, Alexander had adopted the name 'Skirmeschur' and had a charter for some lands near Dundee from Sir William Wallace, Guardian of the Kingdom. Along with the lands came the title of Constable of the Castle of Dundee and this became a hereditary office of the Chief of the Scrimgeours.

Eight years later, he was taken as a prisoner of war and was hung at Newcastle-on-Tyne on the express orders of Edward I.

Early History of the Skrymgeor family

This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Skrymgeor research.
Another 280 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1505, 1572, 1538, 1668, 1550, 1612, 1106, 1124, 1310, 1298, 1411, 1503, 1544, 1575 and 1576 are included under the topic Early Skrymgeor History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Skrymgeor Spelling Variations

Spelling variations of this family name include: Scrimgeor, Scrimshaw, Scrimshawe, Scrimshire, Scrimsger, Scrymgeour, Scrymgeor, Scrimger and many more.

Early Notables of the Skrymgeor family (pre 1700)

Notable amongst the family at this time was Henry Scrimgeour or Scrymgeour (c. 1505-1572), Scottish born diplomat and book collector John Scrimgeour of Myres Castle, Fife was Master of Work for royal buildings for James V and Mary, Queen of Scots, and Precentor of the Scottish Chapel Royal fl 1538. John Scrymgeour, 3rd...
Another 166 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Skrymgeor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Migration of the Skrymgeor family to the New World and Oceana

Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: James Scrimiger arrived in New York in 1774; Peter Scrimsger settled in Savannah Georgia in 1820; H. Scrymgerim settled in Jamaica in 1774.

The Skrymgeor Motto

The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.

Motto: Dissipate
Motto Translation: Dispursed.

Skrymgeor Family Crest Products

See Also

Sign Up