Scurry History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Scurry family
The surname Scurry was first found in Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where they held a family seat as one of the Chiefs of the Sodham or Sodhan, a large territory in the barony of Tiaquin, divided into six territories, each of which was ruled by a chief, the overlord being O'Mainnin whose chief residence was the Castle of Clogher. 
"The name Sgarra may be from the Irish scor, a champion, or sgeir, a rock in the sea, a cliff, shelf; or sgeireach, rocky." 
Early History of the Scurry family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scurry research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Scurry History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Scurry Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Scurry, Scarry, Skarry, Skurry, O'Scurry, O'Scarry, Skerry, Scerry, Sgurry, O'Sgurry, Sgerry, Scarey, Scurey, Scurrie and many more.
Early Notables of the Scurry family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Scurry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Scurry is the 8,988th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Scurry family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Scurry (post 1700) +
- Briana Scurry, American soccer player
- William Read Scurry (1821-1864), general in the Confederate States Army in the American Civil War
- Richardson A Scurry (1811-1862), Texas politician and a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives
- Briana Scurry (b. 1971), the starting goalkeeper for the United States women's national soccer team at the 1995 World Cup
- Rodney Grant Scurry (1956-1992), Major League Baseball relief pitcher
Related Stories +
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- ^ Charnock, Richard, Stephen, Ludus Patronymicus of The Etymology of Curious Surnames. London: Trubner & Co., 60 Paternoster Row, 1868. Print.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm