The Petherbridge surname name comes from the Cornish for "son of Patrick" or "son of Petroc."
Early Origins of the Petherbridge family
The surname Petherbridge was first found in Cornwall
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor of Little Petherick in Truro. Cornwall
was a land set apart, a land of mystique and quaint customs, more strongly related to Brittany
than to England
. It was not until the 10th century that they submitted to the Saxon rule of England. Since then, their influence has moved east into Devon
. The first record of this name was found in 1547 when John Pethroke held the estates.
Early History of the Petherbridge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Petherbridge research.Another 197 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1790 is included under the topic Early Petherbridge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Petherbridge Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Petherick, Pethrick, Petheridge, Pethridge, Pethybridge, Pethibridge, Pethbridge, Pethic and many more.
Early Notables of the Petherbridge family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Petherbridge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Petherbridge family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Petherbridge Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Petherbridge, who was recorded in Cincinati in 1825
- Ann Petherbridge, aged 54, who landed in America, in 1895
- Richard Petherbridge, aged 30, who landed in America from England, in 1895
- Thomas Petherbridge, aged 64, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Petherbridge Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cissy Petherbridge, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1907
- A.Rosa Marion Petherbridge, aged 20, who landed in America from Paignton, England, in 1916
- George Petherbridge, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Alice Rosa M. Petherbridge, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Paignton, England, in 1922
- Broger Petherbridge, aged 33, who settled in America, in 1922
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Petherbridge Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Petherbridge, aged 23, a carpenter, who arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Hyderabad" CITATION[CLOSE]
South Australian Register Wednesday 15th March 1854. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Hyderabad 1854. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/hyderabad1854.shtml.
Contemporary Notables of the name Petherbridge (post 1700)
- Margaret Petherbridge Farrar (1897-1984), American journalist and the first crossword puzzle editor for The New York Times from 1942 to 1968
- Thomas Topham Petherbridge, English settler to Australia from Plymouth, an early land owner in Adelaide, eponym of Topham Mall, and the Topham Link shopping arcade
- Edward Petherbridge (b. 1936), English actor, writer and artist, best known for his role as Lord Peter Wimsey in the 1987 BBC television adaptations of Dorothy L. Sayers's novels
- George Ernest Petherbridge (1927-2013), English professional footballer from Devonport, eponym of Petherbridge Way
- Alan Petherbridge MBE (b. 1927), British Olympic athlete who holds a kudan (9th dan black belt) in Judo, one of four awarded by the British Judo Association, inducted to the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame in 2010