100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Munoz family come from? What is the Spanish Munoz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Munoz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Munoz family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Munoz. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The Visigoths, who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries had a profound impact on the development of surnames.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Muñoz, Munoz, Muñiz, Muniz, Muño, Muno, Muñones and many more.
First found in Galicia and Castile, important Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Munoz research. Another 209 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1077, 1101, 1684 and 1737 are included under the topic Early Munoz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Munoz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gonzalo Muñoz, who arrived in San Juan Island in 1511
- Pedro Muñoz, who settled in the Dominican Republic in 1517
- Miguel Muñoz, who opted for Venezuela in 1534
- Diego Muñoz, who arrived in Guatemala in 1538
- Hernando Muñoz, who arrived in Florida in 1538
Munoz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mateo Munoz, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Lorenzo Munoz, who arrived in America in 1812
- Garcia Munoz, who landed in America in 1812
- Isabel Munoz, who landed in America in 1813
- Martin Munoz, who landed in America in 1813
- Anthony Muñoz (b. 1958), American Pro Football Hall of Fame offensive tackle
- David Muñoz (b. 1968), Spanish director, producer, and screenwriter
- León Darío Muñoz (b. 1977), Colombian soccer player
- Rafael Felipe Muñoz (1899-1972), Mexican journalist, novelist and writer of short stories
- Felipe Muñoz (b. 1951), Mexican Olympic champion breaststroke swimmer
- Francisco Jose Yndurain Muñoz (1940-2008), Spanish theoretical physicist
- Gustavo Enrique Madero Muñoz (b. 1955), Mexican politician and businessman
- Manolo Muñoz (1941-2000), Mexican singer and actor
- Juan José Muñoz (1950-2013), Argentine businessman, President of Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Munoz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Munoz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 June 2015 at 14:26.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!