100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Munoz. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The Visigoths, who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries had a profound impact on the development of surnames.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Muñoz, Munoz, Muñiz, Muniz, Muño, Muno, Muñones and many more.
First found in Galicia and Castile, important Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Munoz research. Another 209 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1077, 1101, 1684 and 1737 are included under the topic Early Munoz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Munoz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gonzalo Muñoz, who arrived in San Juan Island in 1511
- Pedro Muñoz, who settled in the Dominican Republic in 1517
- Miguel Muñoz, who opted for Venezuela in 1534
- Diego Muñoz, who arrived in Guatemala in 1538
- Hernando Muñoz, who arrived in Florida in 1538
Munoz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mateo Munoz, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Lorenzo Munoz, who arrived in America in 1812
- Garcia Munoz, who landed in America in 1812
- Isabel Munoz, who landed in America in 1813
- Martin Munoz, who landed in America in 1813
- Reynoldo Munoz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1996
- Peter Munoz, American politician, Candidate in primary for Mayor of Madison, Wisconsin, 2007
- Mark O. Munoz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2000
- Lydia E. Munoz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1980
- Lou Munoz, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arizona, 2008
- Isabel Garza Munoz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- Chris C. Muñoz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1972, 1996, 2000, 2004
- Carlos M. Munoz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Puerto Rico, 1912
- Carlos E. Munoz, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New Jersey 13th District, 1996
- Angel Muñoz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Puerto Rico, 2004
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
The Munoz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Munoz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 April 2016 at 09:33.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!