Mcwherter Surname History
- Origins Available:
The Mcwherter surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "Mac Chruiteir," a patronymic created from the occu;ational byname "Cruiteir, " or "a player of the crwth."
Early Origins of the Mcwherter family
The surname Mcwherter was first found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the Mcwherter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mcwherter research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1526 is included under the topic Early Mcwherter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mcwherter Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacWhirter, MacWhorter, MacQuirter, MacWherter, MacChruiter, MacWater, McWhirter, McWhirter, MacQuarter, MacChurter and many more.
Early Notables of the Mcwherter family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mcwherter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mcwherter family to Ireland
Some of the Mcwherter family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mcwherter migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Mcwherter Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Mcwherter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert H McWherter, aged 27, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1848 
Mcwherter Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John McWherter, aged 38, who immigrated to the United States from Glasgow, in 1903
- Samuel McWherter, aged 47, who landed in America, in 1912
- Victor McWherter, aged 33, who settled in America, in 1921
Contemporary Notables of the name Mcwherter (post 1700)
- Michael Ray "Mike" McWherter (b. 1955), American lawyer, businessman and politician in the U.S. state of Tennessee
- Ned Ray McWherter (1930-2011), American Democrat politician, the 46th Governor of Tennessee from 1987 to 1995
- Ned Ray McWherter (1930-2011), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Tennessee, 1980, 1996, 2000, 2008; Governor of Tennessee, 1987-; Presidential Elector for Tennessee, 1996 
- James L. McWherter, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1956 
- George H. McWherter, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Superior Court Judge in Pennsylvania, 1932; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1936 
- Dottie McWherter, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 2004 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html