100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name McElroy has seen many modifications since the time in which it was first devised. In Gaelic it appeared as Mac Giolla Rua, which means son of the red-haired youth.
The surname McElroy was first found in County Clare
(Irish: An Clįr) located on the west coast of Ireland
in the province of Munster
, where they were the Chiefs of Clonderlaw, conjecturally descended from Tiobraid, son of Iral Glunmhar, King of Ulster
In the Middle Ages, a name was often recorded under several different spelling variations during the life of its bearer. Literacy was rare at that time and none of the languages to be found in the British Isles had achieved any great semblance of standardization. Variations of the name McElroy found include Gilroy, Kilroy, MacGilroy, MacElroy, MacGreevy, Greevy, MacGilrea, McGilroy, McElroy, McGreevy, McGilrea, MacIlrea, McIlrea, Magilroy, Magilrea, MacElry, McElry, MacIlree and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McElroy research. Another 295 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1376, 1638 and 1640 are included under the topic Early McElroy History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early McElroy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
experienced a dramatic decrease in its population during the late 19th century. This was in a great measure, a response to England's imperialistic policies. Hunger and disease took the lives of many Irish people and many more chose to leave their homeland to escape such hunger and disease. North America with its promise of work, freedom, and land was an extremely popular destination for Irish families
. For those families that survived the journey, all three of these things were were often attained through much hard work and perseverance. Research into early immigration and passenger lists revealed many immigrants bearing the name McElroy:
McElroy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alexander McElroy, who arrived in America in 1810
- Michael McElroy, aged 22, arrived in Maine in 1812
- Peter McElroy, aged 25, landed in New York in 1812
- Arch'd McElroy, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1817
- Bridget McElroy, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
McElroy Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. William McElroy U.E., (McEllery) who settled in Saint Johns, New Brunswick c. 1784
McElroy Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas McElroy, aged 35, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
- Ann McElroy, aged 30, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
- Mary McElroy, aged 16, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
- Frank McElroy, aged 16, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
- John McElroy, aged 18, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
McElroy Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Anne McElroy, aged 20, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Taymouth Castle"
- Alice McElroy, aged 22, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Nimroud"
- Margaret McElroy, aged 25, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Nimroud"
McElroy Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles McElroy, aged 30, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Shamrock" in 1855
- Maria McElroy, aged 32, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Shamrock" in 1855
- Edward McElroy, aged 10, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Shamrock" in 1855
- William McElroy, aged 5, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Shamrock" in 1855
- Mary A. McElroy, aged 2, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Shamrock" in 1855
- Michael McElroy (b. 1967), American Tony Award nominated and two-time Drama Desk Award nominated musical theatre actor, singer and music director
- Gregory Vincent "Greg" McElroy Jr. (b. 1988), American NFL football quarterback for the New York Jets
- Charles Dwayne "Chuck" McElroy Sr. (b. 1967), American former Major League baseball relief pitcher who played from from 1989 to 2001
- Edward J. McElroy Jr. (b. 1941), American teacher and labor union leader
- Hugh McElroy (1884-1971), American soldier, recipient of the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, the World War I Victory Medal, the Philippine Insurrection Service Medal, the World War Volunteer Service Medal, and the National Defense Medal
- William David McElroy (1917-1999), American biochemist, recipient of the Howard N. Potts Medal in 1971
- Neil Hosler McElroy (1904-1972), American Secretary of Defense and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joseph McElroy (b. 1930), American novelist
- John McElroy (1846-1929), American soldier, journalist and author
- Captain George Edward Henry McElroy MC and Two Bars, DFC and Bar (1893-1918), Irish WWI Flying Ace, credited with 47 aerial victories
- The Box Book with McElroy and Floyd by Mrs. Jeff Wade.
- Family Adventures of John Mackelroy of Maryland 1690-1983.
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
The McElroy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McElroy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 March 2016 at 19:31.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!