Marchment History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Marchment was an occupational
name for a merchant having derived from the Old French, Middle English word "marchant," which in turn came from the Late Latin "mercatans."
Early Origins of the Marchment family
The surname Marchment was first found in Buckinghamshire
, where they held a family seat
from early times and granted lands by King William for their assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D. They were originally from Normandy
being tradesmen for Le Merchant. By 1180 they had been granted lands north of the border in Scotland
when Rudolph Mercater held lands in Dunfermline.
Early History of the Marchment family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Marchment research.Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1298 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Marchment History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Marchment Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Merchant, Merchand, Marchand, Mercator and others.
Early Notables of the Marchment family (pre 1700)
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Marchment Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Marchment family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Marchment Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Marchment, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1903
- Alfred Marchment, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1920
Marchment Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Samuel W. Marchment, aged 58, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1908
- Arthur George Marchment, aged 36, who settled in Victoria, Canada, in 1918
- Edward John Marchment, aged 47, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1922
Marchment Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Marchment, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lloyds" in 1838 CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) LLOYDS from London 1838. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1838Lloyds.htm
Contemporary Notables of the name Marchment (post 1700)
- Bryan William Marchment (b. 1969), former Canadian ice hockey defenceman, current a scout for the San Jose Sharks
Marchment Family Crest Products
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) LLOYDS from London 1838. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1838Lloyds.htm