100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Kirby family come from? What is the Irish Kirby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kirby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kirby family history?The surname Kirby comes from the Gaelic-Irish O Ciarmhaic, which was anglicized as Kerwick. The Irish name was later corrupted to O Cearba, which was Anglicized as Kirby.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kirby, Kerwick, O'Kirby and others.
First found in Knockany in County Limerick (Irish: Luimneach) located in Southwestern Ireland, in the province of Munster, where members of the family were chiefs of the Eoghanacht Clan of Munster. The family were descendents of Eoghan, son of King Oilioll Olum.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kirby research. Another 387 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1690 and 1817 are included under the topic Early Kirby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kirby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kirby Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Kirby, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1637
- William Kirby, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1647
- James Kirby settled in Virginia in 1651 along with Humphrey and Alice his wife
- Hump Kirby, who landed in Virginia in 1651
- Ann Kirby, who arrived in Virginia in 1655
Kirby Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Kirby, who settled in Boston in 1767
- James Kirby, who landed in Richmond, Va in 1794
Kirby Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mary Ann Kirby, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Cornelius, Mary Ann, and Eliza Kirby, who immigrated to New York in 1811
- Eliza Kirby, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Cornelius Kirby, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- John Kirby, aged 33, landed in New York in 1812
Kirby Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Kirby, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1814
- Thomas Kirby, who immigrated to St. John New Brunswick in 1846
- William Kirby, who immigrated to New Brunswick in 1847
- Patrick Kirby, who was counted in the 1871 census in Ontario
Kirby Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Kirby, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 17, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- John Kirby arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Buckinghamshire" in 1839
- Catherine Kirby arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Baboo" in 1840
- Matilda Kirby arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Baboo" in 1840
- Richard Kirby arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Baboo" in 1840
Kirby Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Kirby, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1872
- James Kirby, aged 21, a farm labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Assaye" in 1874
- Johanna Kirby, aged 20, a housemaid, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Salisbury" in 1874
- Catherine Kirby, aged 17, a housemaid, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Salisbury" in 1874
- L. D. Kirby arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "William Fruing" in 1875
- Bruno Kirby (1949-2006), born Bruno Giovanni Quidaciolu, Jr., American film and television actor, best known for his roles in City Slickers, When Harry Met Sally..., Good Morning, Vietnam, The Godfather Part II, and Donnie Brasco
- David Kirby (b. 1944), American poet & academic
- Dorothy Kirby (1920-2000), American golfer & journalist
- Jim Kirby (1884-1971), Scottish-born, American inventor of the Kirby vacuum cleaner
- Stuart Kirby (b. 1981), American race car driver
- Jack Kirby (1917-1994), born Jacob Kurtzberg, American comic book artist, writer and editor, creator of Captain America and Marvel Comics
- Charles Kirk Kirby (1826-1910), American architect in Boston, Massachusetts
- Homer Durward Kirby (1911-2000), American television host and announcer, best remembered for his work on The Garry Moore Show in the 1950s, and Candid Camera
- George Kirby (1923-1995), American comedian, singer, and actor
- Steve T. Kirby (b. 1952), American politician, the 35th Lieutenant Governor of South Dakota
- Colonial Settlers and English Adventurers by Noel Currier Briggs.
- Tidewater Ancestors by Louise Niemeyer Fontaine.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
The Kirby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kirby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 July 2015 at 17:05.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!