100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Kilgore family come from? What is the Scottish Kilgore family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kilgore family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kilgore family history?Kilgore was first used as a surname by descendants of the Pictish people of ancient Scotland. The ancestors of the Kilgore family lived in Kilgour, which is located near Falkland in the county of Fife. The surname Kilgore belongs to the category of habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. Kilgore has appeared Kilgour, Kilgore and others.
First found in Fife, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kilgore research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1600 and 1644 are included under the topic Early Kilgore History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kilgore Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland and Australia, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Kilgore:
Kilgore Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Francis Kilgore, who landed in America in 1760-1763
- Francis Kilgore settled in Virginia in 1761
- John Kilgore, who arrived in New England in 1764
Kilgore Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Kilgore, who landed in New York in 1801
- Robert Kilgore, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- Isaac Kilgore, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1897
- William Kilgore, aged 50, who landed in America from Tyrone, in 1898
Kilgore Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mrs. T. A. Kilgore, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Killarney, in 1901
- Alexander Kilgore, aged 46, who settled in America from Kirkcauldy, Scotland, in 1908
- Robert Kilgore, aged 26, who settled in America from Magherabag, Ireland, in 1912
- Willis Kilgore, aged 24, who settled in Sanatonia, Texas, in 1915
- Thos B Kilgore, aged 37, who settled in Spokane, Wash, in 1919
Kilgore Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Thomas Kilgore, aged 37, who settled in Toronto, Canada, in 1908
- Thorold H. Kilgore, aged 21, who emigrated to Toronto, Ontario Canada, in 1912
- Theola Kilgore (1925-2005), American soul and gospel singer
- Constantine Buckley Kilgore (1835-1897), American politician, U.S. Representative from Texas (1887-1895)
- Daniel Kilgore (1793-1851), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio (1834-1838)
- Daniel Kilgore (b. 1987), American NFL football offensive guard and center for the San Francisco 49ers
- David Kilgore (1804-1879), American politician, U.S. Representative from Indiana (1857-1861)
- Jerry Kilgore (b. 1964), American country music artist
- Joe Madison Kilgore (1918-1999), American politician and airman, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Texas (1955-1965), recipient of the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, and Air Medal with two Oak leaf clusters
- Terry Gene Kilgore (b. 1961), American politician, Member of the Virginia House of Delegates (1994)
- Alfred Kilgore (1833-1871), American politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1863-65; U.S. Attorney for Indiana, 1866-69
- Ben Kilgore, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Governor of Kentucky, 1943; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1944
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Kilgore Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kilgore Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 October 2015 at 15:10.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!