100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Kilgore was first used as a surname by descendants of the Pictish people of ancient Scotland
. The ancestors of the Kilgore family lived in Kilgour, which is located near Falkland in the county of Fife
. The surname Kilgore belongs to the category of habitation
names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
The surname Kilgore was first found in Fife
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. Kilgore has appeared Kilgour, Kilgore and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kilgore research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1600 and 1644 are included under the topic Early Kilgore History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Kilgore Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland
, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence
. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan
societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Kilgore:
Kilgore Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Francis Kilgore, who landed in America in 1760-1763
- Francis Kilgore settled in Virginia in 1761
- John Kilgore, who arrived in New England in 1764
Kilgore Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Kilgore, who landed in New York in 1801
- Robert Kilgore, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- Isaac Kilgore, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1897
- William Kilgore, aged 50, who landed in America from Tyrone, in 1898
Kilgore Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mrs. T. A. Kilgore, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Killarney, in 1901
- Alexander Kilgore, aged 46, who settled in America from Kirkcauldy, Scotland, in 1908
- Robert Kilgore, aged 26, who settled in America from Magherabag, Ireland, in 1912
- Willis Kilgore, aged 24, who settled in Sanatonia, Texas, in 1915
- Thos B Kilgore, aged 37, who settled in Spokane, Wash, in 1919
Kilgore Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Thomas Kilgore, aged 37, who settled in Toronto, Canada, in 1908
- Thorold H. Kilgore, aged 21, who emigrated to Toronto, Ontario Canada, in 1912
- William R. Kilgore Sr., American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Idabel, Oklahoma, 1963-90
- Violet Kilgore, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1956
- Terry G. Kilgore, American Republican politician, Elected Virginia State House of Delegates 1st District 2011
- Lane Kilgore, American Democrat politician, Chair of Cleburne County Democratic Party, 2003
- Marcus M. Kilgore (b. 1850), American politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1891
- Joe Madison Kilgore (1918-1999), American Democrat politician, Member of Texas State House of Representatives, 1947-54; U.S. Representative from Texas 15th District, 1955-65
- Jerry W. Kilgore (b. 1961), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Virginia, 2004, 2008
- James L. Kilgore, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- Hubert Kilgore, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1964
- Herman Kilgore, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Mississippi, 1952 (alternate), 1960
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
The Kilgore Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kilgore Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 April 2016 at 11:36.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!