100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
The surname Kerns was first found in Silesia
, where the name gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kern, Kerne, Kerrn, Kerns, Kernes, Kernns, Keerns, Kerrns, Keern, Kernn, Kernen, Gern, Cern, Kurn and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kerns research. Another 215 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1745, 1839, and 1845 are included under the topic Early Kerns History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Kerns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kerns Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Kerns, who landed in America in 1811
- M Kerns, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Andrew Kerns, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
- Nellie Kerns, aged 30, who emigrated to America, in 1892
- Maggie Kerns, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1893
Kerns Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- May Kerns, aged 1, who landed in America from Dungloe, in 1902
- Elizabeth Kerns, aged 45, who landed in America from Dublin, in 1903
- Catherine Kerns, aged 12, who emigrated to the United States from Donegal, Ireland, in 1904
- Delia Kerns, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Bellymote, Ireland, in 1907
- Patrick Kerns, aged 23, who landed in America from Newry, Ireland, in 1907
Kerns Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Catherine Kerns, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1822
- John Kerns, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1842
- Michael Kerns, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1844
- William F. Kerns (b. 1839), American politician, Member of Indiana State Senate, 1895-97
- Robert M. Kerns, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 26th District, 1986
- Robert C. Kerns, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1952 (alternate), 1956 (alternate), 1960
- Robert Kerns, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1964
- Robert Kerns, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2008
- Peggy Kerns, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1996
- Krayton Kerns, American Republican politician, Member of Montana State House of Representatives 58th District; elected 2010
- Joseph W. Kerns, American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Saginaw County 1st District, 1916
- Edward Kerns, American politician, Member of West Virginia State Senate 14th District, 1996
- H. O. Kerns, American politician, Member of Virginia State Senate 21st District, 1906-07
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
The Kerns Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kerns Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 December 2015 at 13:03.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!