100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Huddleston family come from? When did the Huddleston family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Huddleston family history?The surname Huddleston was derived from a pre-existing place named Huddleston in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The place name is in turn derived from the Old English personal name Hudel and are said to be originally of Saxon descent.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Huddleston, Hoddleston, Hodleston, Hiddleston, Hiddlestone and many more.
First found in Cumberland, where they originally held Millom Castle at Millom, now in Cumbria. Godard be Boyvill was granted a manor on the site and held the Manor of Millom c. 1134. His granddaughter married into the Hudleston family and ownership was passed in c. 1240. John Hudleston was given a licence to crenellate in 1335. Over the centuries the castle has fallen into ruin and is now used as a farmhouse.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Huddleston research. Another 259 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1774, 1296, 1496, 1517, 1557, 1553, 1554, 1554, 1583, 1655, 1608 and 1698 are included under the topic Early Huddleston History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 211 words(15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Huddleston Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Huddleston Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Huddleston, who settled in Maine in 1622
Huddleston Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Henry Huddleston, a child apprentice, who arrived in Barbados in 1755
- Thomas Huddleston, who came to Maryland in 1775
Huddleston Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- David Huddleston, who arrived in New York in 1838
Huddleston Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Huddleston, aged 26, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Gloucester"
Huddleston Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Frederick Huddleston arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "China" in 1856
- Frank Huddleston arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "China" in 1856
- George Huddleston arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "China" in 1856
- Kate Huddleston arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "China" in 1856
- Fanny Huddleston arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "China" in 1856
- Floyd Huddleston (1918-1991), American Academy Award nominated songwriter, screenwriter, and television producer, best known for his work on The AristoCats (1970), 101 Dalmatians (1996) and Robin Hood (1973)
- Mark W. Huddleston, American academic, 19th President of the University of New Hampshire
- Walter Darlington "Dee" Huddleston (b. 1926), retired American politician, United States Senator from Kentucky (1973-1985)
- George Huddleston Jr. (1920-1971), American Democratic politician, Representative from Alabama (1955-1965)
- George Huddleston (1869-1960), American politician, U.S. Representative from Alabama (1915-1937)
- David William Huddleston (b. 1930), American Primetime Emmy Award nominated actor, best known for his roles in Blazing Saddles, Santa Claus: The Movie and The Big Lebowski
- Ferdinand Huddleston (1812-1890), English cricketer, active in the early 1840s
- Sir John Walter Huddleston (1815-1890), Baron Huddleston, English judge of the Exchequer of Pleas
- Sisley Huddleston (1883-1952), British journalist and writer imprisoned by the Free French in 1944, as a Vichy collaborator
- William Huddleston (1826-1894), British colonial administrator, Governor of Madras in 1881
- Jarriot Morgan Huddleston Family, 1775- by Tim Huddleston.
- Josiah Dunn Huddleston, 1782-1865: Ancestors and Descendants by Irma Huddleston Bloom.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
This page was last modified on 10 August 2015 at 14:09.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!