The surname Guinane comes from the Irish surname O Cuanain (O'Conein and MacConein) and is derived from the Irish Cuinin for "rabbit", son of Dugal. They claim descendancy through the Donnelly line of the native Irish.
Early Origins of the Guinane family
The surname Guinane was first found in County Tipperary
(Irish: Thiobraid Árann), established in the 13th century in South-central Ireland
, in the province of Munster
, where Isaac O Cuanain was Bishop of Roscrea from 1161 to 1168. But the name was scattered throughout Ireland, some bearers being recorded in Kildare
and the surrounding counties in the 16th century. Bearers of the name Guinane were also present in County Sligo
, where O'Cunane was a principal Irish name in the census of 1659. The two baronies of County Leitrim
which border County Sligo, had the name O'Conan listed in the same census.
Early History of the Guinane family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Guinane research.Another 62 words (4 lines of text) covering the year 1666 is included under the topic Early Guinane History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Guinane Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Conan, Coonan, Coonane, O'Conan, O'Cunane and others.
Early Notables of the Guinane family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Guinane Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Guinane family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Guinane Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- James Guinane, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Kildimo, Kimerick, Ireland, in 1906
- Michael Guinane, aged 24, who landed in America from Nenagh, Ireland, in 1907
- Martin Guinane, aged 25, who settled in America from Hiltormmally, Ireland, in 1908
- Delia Guinane, aged 23, who immigrated to America from Carrigaholt, Ireland, in 1910
- Maurice Guinane, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Ireland, Limerick, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Guinane Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Helen Guinane, aged 25, who immigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Guinane (post 1700)
- Thomas Joseph Guinane (1896-1967), Sergeant in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, recipient of the Military Medal
- Patrick "Paddy" Guinane (b. 1938), former Australian rules football player
Guinane Family Crest Products