on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Godber family come from? What is the English Godber family crest and coat of arms? When did the Godber family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Godber family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gobard, Gobard, Gobert, Gobart, Godberd, Godbard, Godbert, Godbart, Godber and many more.
First found in Warwickshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Norman influence of English history dominated after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. The family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Godber research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1100, 1167, 1195, 1563, 1455, 1487, 1662, 1744, 1600 and 1672 are included under the topic Early Godber History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Godber Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Godber Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wm. Godber, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Godber Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sidney Godber, aged 3, who landed in America from Leicester, England, in 1906
- Arthur Lewis Godber, aged 7, who landed in America from Leicester, England, in 1906
- Florence Rose Godber, aged 29, who settled in America from Leicester, England, in 1906
- John Robert Godber, aged 25, who landed in America from Leicester, England, in 1907
- George Godber, aged 26, who landed in America from Enmiokillen, Ireland, in 1908
- John Harry Godber (b. 1956), English dramatist
- Sir George Edward Godber GCB (1908-2009), English Chief Medical Officer for Her Majesty's Government (1960 to 1973)
- Sir George Godber (1909-2009), British doctor, Chief Medical Officer (1960–1973)
- Joseph Bradshaw Godber (1914-1980), Baron Godber of Willington, British Conservative politician and cabinet minister
- Sir Frederick Godber (1888-1976), 1st Baron Godber, Managing Director of Shell
- Peter Fitzroy Godber (b. 1922), Kowloon's Deputy District Commissioner of the Royal Hong Kong Police Force
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
The Godber Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Godber Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 September 2014 at 12:21.
on orders of $85 or more