Origins Available: English
Hundreds of years ago, the Gaelic name used by the Foureghan family in Ireland
was O Fuarain or in some records O Furanain.
Early Origins of the Foureghan family
The surname Foureghan was first found in Connacht
(Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they were firstly known as Macgiollarnath or Mac Gilla na Naomh, meaning 'son of the devotee of the saints', which, through mistranslation and time emerged as an off-shoot of the main Clan
through a chieftain
O'Fuarthain or O'Fuarain, which, in English, became Foureghan.
Early History of the Foureghan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Foureghan research.Another 254 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1355, and 1816 are included under the topic Early Foureghan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Foureghan Spelling Variations
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations
. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name Foureghan revealed many variations, including Foran, Forhane, Forahan, Forhan, Foreham and many more.
Early Notables of the Foureghan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Foureghan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Foureghan family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Foureghan: Jno Forehead, who came to Virginia in 1653; Gillian Forehand, who arrived in Maryland in 1671; John Foran who settled in New York State in 1804;Patrick Forehan was a merchant in St. John's, Newfoundland in 1770.
The Foureghan Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Lucrum Christi mihi
Motto Translation: Without Christ, there is no light.