100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Irish
The Irish name Dease is an Anglicized version of the Gaelic name Déiseach, which is thought to have originally been a nickname
for a member of the vassal community ( feudal
servants) called the Déis, a word of uncertain origin. There was also a Decies barony in County Waterford
, and in some cases, this name likely originated with a native of that barony.
The surname Dease was first found in counties Cork and Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland
in the province of Connacht
. It is thought that immigrants from Waterford
took on this name after they arrived in their new homelands. First recorded instance of the name appears to be a bearer of Dacy, who was a Drogheda juror in Cork as early as 1313. There is a legend in Cork that all the Deasys of the county are ancestors of a child who was rescued from a massacre in the barony of Decies in about 1620. It is claimed that he was then protected by the O'Donovans of the Island, and went on to have seven sons.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Deasy, Deacy, Dacy, Dacey, Dease, Daase, Dece and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dease research. Another 177 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1568, 1622, 1652, 1659, 1750, 1774, 1793, 1798, 1812, 1819, and 1883 are included under the topic Early Dease History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dease Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dease Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dennis Dease, who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1855
- Dennis Dease, who settled in America in 1863
Dease Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Warren Dease, aged 7, who arrived in Honolulu, Hawaii, in 1914
- Robert Dease, aged 20, who arrived in America, in 1918
- Thomas Dease, aged 20, who arrived in America, in 1918
- Alex Dease, aged 18, who arrived in America, in 1921
- Alexander Dease, aged 18, who arrived in America, in 1921
Dease Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. John Dease U.E. (b. 1741) born in Ireland who settled in Montreal, Canada East, Quebec c. 1786 he joined was known as a Medical Doctor, Captain and Superintendent of the Indian Department, he joined the North West Company [Hudson's Bay Company] and became Factor, he became Chief Factor at Fort Spokan and died in 1827, he married Jane French having 7 children
Dease Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- J. Dease arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Orleana" in 1839
- The Rev. Dennis Dease (1991-2013), American academic and Roman Catholic priest, 14th President of the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota
- Michael Dease (b. 1982), American jazz trombonist, composer and producer
- William Dease (1752-1798), Irish surgeon and anatomist
- Teresa Ellen Dease (1820-1889), Irish-born, Canadian Roman Catholic nun and the foundress of the Loreto Sisters
- Conly John Paget Dease (1906-1979), Australian radio presenter and quiz show host in the 1940s and 1950s
- Maurice James Dease VC (1889-1914), British Army officer during the First World War, recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Peter Warren Dease (1788-1863), Canadian fur trader and arctic explorer, member of Sir John Franklin's second expedition to the Arctic
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
The Dease Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dease Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 15:24.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!