Daane History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Daane family
The surname Daane was first found in Cornwall where the family held at one time fifteen manors and were descended by an heiress to the house of Courtenay Earl of Devon about the reign of Edward II.  It is known to be a "Norman family by reputation, and said to be traced to the Conquest, descended from Sir William Downay, who was in the wars in the Holy Land with Richard I. in 1192, at which time that King gave him, in memory of his acts of valour, a ring from his finger, which is still in possession of the family."  The actual spelling of Sir William is under dispute as another reference claims William D'Aunay accompanied Richard I. to Palestine.  This latter reference digs further to their earlier life in Normandy where the name was also known as "De Alneto, a branch of the baronial house of Bassett, deriving from Fulco or Fulcelin de Alneto, brother of Osmond Bassett, Baron of Normanville in 1050." 
Important Dates for the Daane family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Daane research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1394, 1415, 1420, 1487, 1455, 1487, 1625, 1695, 1660, 1661, 1661 and 1690 are included under the topic Early Daane History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Daane Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dawney, Dawny, Dawn, Dawnie, Dawne, Dawnay, Dawnsey, Daun, Dorn, Dorne and many more.
Early Notables of the Daane family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Daane Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Daane migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Daane Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Daane Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Daane, aged 4, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847 
- Maatje Daane, aged 31, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Maria Daane, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Peter Daane, aged 32, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847 
Contemporary Notables of the name Daane (post 1700)
- J. Dewey Daane (1918-2017), American economist
You May Also Like
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)