on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Crabtree family come from? What is the English Crabtree family crest and coat of arms? When did the Crabtree family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Crabtree family history?The ancestors of the Crabtree surname lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. The name comes from when they lived in the county of Yorkshire. Their name, however, indicates that the original bearer lived near a prominent crabtree.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Crabtree include Crabtree, Crabbtree, Craybtree, Crabbetree and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say long before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Crabtree research. Another 148 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1610, 1639, and 1644 are included under the topic Early Crabtree History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 42 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Crabtree Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Crabtree Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Crabtree who was farming in Virginia in 1635
- Edward Crabtree, aged 20, landed in Virginia in 1635
- John Crabtree who was working as a carpenter in Boston in 1639
- John Crabtree, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1639
Crabtree Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Crabtree, who landed in Virginia in 1703
Crabtree Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Crabtree, aged 41, arrived in New York in 1812
- James Crabtree, aged 48, arrived in New York in 1812
- J A Crabtree, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Benjamin Crabtree who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1855
- Samuel Crabtree, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857
- Don Crabtree, American flintknapper and archaeologist
- Eric Crabtree (b. 1944), American former NFL and AFL football wide receiver
- Estel Crabtree (1903-1967), American Major League Baseball player in the 1930s and 1940s
- Lotta Crabtree (1847-1924), American actor and comedian
- Tim Crabtree (b. 1969), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Sarah Crabtree, English fantasy writer
- Harold Crabtree, Canadian industrialist, President of Wabasso Ltd
- Eorl Crabtree (b. 1982), British Rugby League player
- Jane Crabtree (b. 1981), Australia Olympic badminton player
- Robert H. Crabtree (b. 1948), British chemist, who developed Crabtree's catalyst
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Crabtree Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Crabtree Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2015 at 20:22.
on orders of $85 or more