on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Coates family come from? What is the English Coates family crest and coat of arms? When did the Coates family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Coates family history?The ancient history of the Coates name begins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the family resided at the cotes which was in turn derived from the Old English word cote, which means at the cottage, which denotes that the initial bearer of this surname lived in a little cottage.
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Coates include Coates, Coate, Coats and others.
First found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coates research. Another 343 words(24 lines of text) covering the years 1167, 1190, 1210, 1273, 1682, 1716, 1609 and are included under the topic Early Coates History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coates Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Coates family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 121 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Coates or a variant listed above:
Coates Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Coates who settled in Virginia in 1650
- Hugh Coates, who arrived in Virginia in 1658
- Jo Coates, who arrived in Virginia in 1658
- Thomas Coates, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1658
- William Coates settled in Barbados in 1660
Coates Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Saml Coates, who landed in Virginia in 1706
- Thos Coates, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- John W Coates, who landed in New York in 1796
Coates Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William A Coates, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1803
- James, Coates Jr., aged 14, landed in New York in 1812
- William Coates, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- James Coates, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1834
- Patrick Coates, aged 31, arrived in Missouri in 1848
Coates Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Coates, aged 28, a merchant, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Joseph Anderson" from London
- Matilda E Coates, who landed in Esquimalt, British Columbia in 1862
- W Coates, who landed in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Coates Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Mrs. B Coates, who arrived in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
- Isabella Coates, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Coates Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thoams Alfred Coates arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1848
- T.A. Coates arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Woodall" in 1849
- J. Coates arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Athenian" in 1849
- John Coates, English convict from Devon, who was transported aboard the "Adelaide" on August 08, 1849, settling in Van Diemen's Land and Port Phillip, Australia
- Thomas Coates arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Countess of Yarborough" in 1850
Coates Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- S A Coates landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1840
- James Coates landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1840
- L Coates landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1844
- Giles Coates, aged 43, a labourer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Poictiers" in 1850
- Mary Ann Coates, aged 14, a servant, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Poictiers" in 1850
- Kinney Coates (b. 1826), American poet and politician
- Gloria Coates (b. 1938), American composer
- Phyllius Coates (b. 1927), American film and television actress
- Eric Coates (1886-1957), English violist and composer
- George James Coates (1869-1930), Australian painter
- Joseph Gordon Coates (1878-1943), New Zealand politician, prime minister of New Zealand from 1925-1928
- Wells Wintemute Coates (1895-1958), Canadian modernist architect
- Reginald Charles "Rex" Coates (1920-2004), British civil engineer, academic and the 114th president of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Thomas Coates (1809-1883), Scottish industrialist
- John Henry Coates (b. 1945), Australian born mathematics professor, president of the London Mathematical Society during 1988-90 and as vice-president of the International Mathematical Union from 1991 to 1995
- Robert Coates of Lynn, Massachusetts, and Some of His Descendants by Evelyn Coates Aherin.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Coates Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Coates Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 January 2015 at 10:45.
on orders of $85 or more