100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Broadway is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon
origin and comes from the family once having lived in Northamptonshire. The name derives from the term at the Broadway
which is at times shortened by omitting the first a
The surname Broadway was first found in Gloucestershire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Broadway family name include Bradway, Broadway, Bradwaye and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Broadway research. Another 251 words (18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Broadway History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Broadway Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland
, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Broadway surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Broadway Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Broadway, who landed in Virginia in 1643
- Tho Broadway, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
- Thomas Broadway, who settled in Virginia in 1654
- An Broadway, who landed in Virginia in 1663
Broadway Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cornelius Broadway, aged 68, who arrived in New York in 1822
- Edwin T Broadway, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1885
Broadway Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Broadway, English convict from Suffolk, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on October 22nd, 1824, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Lance Daniel Broadway (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- John W. Broadway, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in SAINT Helena, 1905
- Tom Broadway (b. 1982), English competitive rower
- Mr. Alexander G Broadway, British Ordinary Signalman, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
This page was last modified on 23 October 2015 at 08:59.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!