on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Balderson family come from? When did the Balderson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Balderson family history?The surname Balderson was first used in the Scottish/English Borderlands by an ancient Scottish people called the Strathclyde- Britons. It was a name for someone who lived in the region of West Lothian or Linlithgow.
The many spelling variations in Medieval Scottish names result from the fact that scribes in that era spelled words according to sound. Translation too, was an undeveloped science, and many names were altered into complete obscurity. Over the years Balderson has been spelled Balderstone, Balderstoun, Balderston, Balderton, Batherstain, Baldirston, Baldirstone, Baldirstan, Baldirstoun, Baldeston and many more.
First found in West Lothian, or Linlithgow, where they were very anciently seated. The lands of Balderstone were originally held by a man named Baldhere or Bealdhere, or Baldheres town. He held a family seat there about the year 1150.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Balderson research. Another 241 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1599, 1628, 1634, and 1663 are included under the topic Early Balderson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Balderson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the uncertainties and discrimination faced in Scotland, many decided to head out for North America. Once they arrived, many Scots fought with relish in the American War of Independence; some went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Many ancestors of these Scots have recovered their lost national heritage in the 20th century through Clan organizations and Scottish historical societies. Among the settlers to North America were:
Balderson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Balderson, who landed in New England in 1747
Balderson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edith G. Balderson, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Balham, England, in 1908
- Eric Richard Balderson, aged 23, who landed in America from London, England, in 1912
- Florence P. Balderson, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1912
- Frederick George Balderson, aged 24, who landed in America from London, England, in 1912
- Robert Balderson, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1912
- Troy Balderson, American politician, Republican member of the Ohio Senate
- Richard Pendleton "Dick" Balderson (b. 1946), American Major League Baseball executive
- Walter Balderson (b. 1926), American Emmy Award winning television editor and video engineer, one of the first editors to use videotape for instant replay of sports events
- Stephen Clark Balderson (b. 1975), American film director
- Russell Balderson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from District of Columbia, 1940, 1944; District of Columbia Democratic Party chair, 1945
- Scott Balderson (b. 1989), Australian-born, English football midfielder
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 11:30.
on orders of $85 or more