on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Balderson family come from? When did the Balderson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Balderson family history?The surname Balderson was first used in the Scottish/English Borderlands by an ancient Scottish people called the Strathclyde- Britons. It was a name for someone who lived in the region of West Lothian or Linlithgow.
The many spelling variations in Medieval Scottish names result from the fact that scribes in that era spelled words according to sound. Translation too, was an undeveloped science, and many names were altered into complete obscurity. Over the years Balderson has been spelled Balderstone, Balderstoun, Balderston, Balderton, Batherstain, Baldirston, Baldirstone, Baldirstan, Baldirstoun, Baldeston and many more.
First found in West Lothian, or Linlithgow, where they were very anciently seated. The lands of Balderstone were originally held by a man named Baldhere or Bealdhere, or Baldheres town. He held a family seat there about the year 1150.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Balderson research. Another 241 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1599, 1628, 1634, and 1663 are included under the topic Early Balderson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Balderson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the uncertainties and discrimination faced in Scotland, many decided to head out for North America. Once they arrived, many Scots fought with relish in the American War of Independence; some went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Many ancestors of these Scots have recovered their lost national heritage in the 20th century through Clan organizations and Scottish historical societies. Among the settlers to North America were:
Balderson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Balderson, who landed in New England in 1747
Balderson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edith G. Balderson, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Balham, England, in 1908
- Eric Richard Balderson, aged 23, who landed in America from London, England, in 1912
- Florence P. Balderson, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1912
- Frederick George Balderson, aged 24, who landed in America from London, England, in 1912
- Robert Balderson, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1912
- Stephen Clark Balderson (b. 1975), American film director
- Walter Balderson (b. 1926), American Emmy Award winning television editor and video engineer, one of the first editors to use videotape for instant replay of sports events
- Richard Pendleton "Dick" Balderson (b. 1946), American Major League Baseball executive
- Troy Balderson, American politician, Republican member of the Ohio Senate
- Scott Balderson (b. 1989), Australian-born, English football midfielder
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
This page was last modified on 18 June 2012 at 13:57.
on orders of $85 or more