The distinguished Polish surname Zuchowski is of nickname
origin, deriving from the word "zuch," meaning "brave, dashing, or daring fellow." The name was most likely given to the original bearer as a nickname and then passed down as a hereditary surname.
Early Origins of the Zuchowski family
The surname Zuchowski was first found in Polesie, the largest province of Poland. It is inhabited by Ruthenians, called Polesians, of Ukrainian descent. The main towns are those of Brest Litovsk, Pinsk, Kobryn, Kamenets, Litovsk, and Luninets. It was in this province that the renowned Radziwills and Sapiehas held their vast estates. Wolczyn was the seat of the Czartoryski family. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the bearers of the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. They were a branch of the Royal Clan
Gryf and their first records originate in 1399. Later they were found in Crakow.
Early History of the Zuchowski family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zuchowski research.Another 145 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zuchowski History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zuchowski Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Zuchowski, Zukowski, Zukowsky, Zuchowssky, Zukow, Suchow, Suzow and many more.
Early Notables of the Zuchowski family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Zuchowski Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Zuchowski family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Zuchowski Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Valentin Zuchowski, who traveled from Hamburg to New York in 1873
- Johann Zuchowski, who arrived in Baltimore in 1880
- Franz Zuchowski, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1895
Zuchowski Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alexander Zuchowski, aged 19, who landed in America from Krasewo, Russia, in 1910
- Antoni Zuchowski, aged 19, who settled in America from Saszin, Russia, in 1911
- Andrzy Zuchowski, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Malanorsko, Russia, in 1912
- Ignac Zuchowski, aged 19, who emigrated to America from Trzesowo, Russia, in 1913
- Czestawa Zuchowski, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Grupa, Poland, in 1922
Contemporary Notables of the name Zuchowski (post 1700)
- George H. Zuchowski, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 31st District, 1952, 1954 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 30) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html